• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Just a bit over the top

Hello, I'm Maligator and I'm a pepper head. It's been 1 hour since my last pepper...it seems my hubris got the better of me yesterday...

So there I was enjoying a wonderful dinner and I decided to accompany said dinner with a few of my hotter peppers...so first came the primo red, little warm but not scorching to the mouth, enjoyed it immensely. Continue to eat and grab a Red Moruga Scorpion, another tasty morsel...bit warmer in the mouth, had to cool it a bit with some liquid courage...finish off the meal with another Red Moruga Scorpion...

Wait...what's this burning in my stomach? Naaa, can't be to bad, didn't feel all that hot while chewing them...it oh, not feeling so well...sweating profusely, stomach actually feels like it's rotting in there...brother comes to visit...hey man...you OK? NOPE...not feeling so well bro...he says I've never seen you like this...my reply: I had a case of the dumb ass and ate 3 fresh superhots...he laughs...you gonna be ok...I reply nope...be right back and hit the bathroom...

First time in my life I have even vomitted because of the peppers being to much for me...lesson learned you ask??? Yup...stop at two

Great story, one I'm sure many of us have encountered.

It's interesting how someone's mouth/tongue, can have a higher heat tolerance than the rest of your body.

Sometimes I notice myself sweating and constantly blowing my nose during a meal. Then I think, this doesn't even taste hot, and yet my body is reacting like it is much hotter than it tastes.

We all gain and build a tolerance for heat by eating chillies. BUT I wonder if it is just your mouth, tongue and throat that are able to build up a tolerance, while the rest of your body (your stomach for example) doesn't?

SR.

Shorerider said:
Great story, one I'm sure many of us have encountered.
It's interesting how someone's mouth/tongue, can have a higher heat tolerance than the rest of your body.
Sometimes I notice myself sweating and constantly blowing my nose during a meal. Then I think, this doesn't even taste hot, and yet my body is reacting like it is much hotter than it tastes.
We all gain and build a tolerance for heat by eating chillies. BUT I wonder if it is just your mouth, tongue and throat that are able to build up a tolerance, while the rest of your body (your stomach for example) doesn't?
SR.
You might be on to something there, SR. I encountered this the other day when I ate a frozen naga which gave me a semi- decent mouth burn (it was a tiny pod), but when it came out...Whew! 4 separate times I suffered through the "out" burn. Whether our bodies build up a tolerance is definitely something to ponder.

-Adam

Funny thing is that I can eat those peppers I guess I just went a little overboard all at once. Interestingly enough, didn't burn coming back up...I'm guessing that's because I drank chocolate milk...and since it came back up I didn't get the "out burn" :woohoo:

In all seriousness, I do enjoy the flavor profiles of those peppers and I choose which peppers I grow by whether or not I like the taste of them. Hence the reason I order pods from people like Wicked Mike and ask for different types each time...helps me determine whether or not I want to invest the time, and let's not forget the money, to grow them.

I knew that most of you here could identify with my situation and might even get a chuckle out of it ;)

Back