• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Just a thought on germination

Howdy y'all. I just finished sowing another 72 cell tray (mainly annuums, pubes and baccatums) and had a thought; When a pepper root (a.k.a. the hook) starts growing, it starts from the area that was connected to the placental material in the pod. I wondered if having the seed oriented with this area pointed down into the soil would have any noticeable effect on germination rates. My logic is, since a seed has only a limited amount of starch (i.e., stored food reserve) to last it until it emerges from the soil, produces leaves and starts photosynthesizing, would it be better to have it oriented in a "root down" position? I know I'm overthinking as usual, but this kind of makes sense. . . doesn't it??? :crazy:

I think this makes perfect sense, I had a seed growing completly horizontal through the plug, it probably would have rotted if I hadn't uncovered it.

Overthinking is good!

I can't imagine that the way the seed is oriented, will effect the germination rate, but might effect the time span till it breaks the soil surface.... just my overthinking-thoughts :)

Or did I misread you?

All warm and fuzzy!

I like JSNIs line of thinking here....it's splitting hairs here though. The seed knows which way is down so it won't be THAT much faster.

in fact, it may even be a hindrance, with the micropyle pointing downward, oxygen and moisture may have a harder time being absorbed due to soil being compacted around the pore.
i would think a seed lying on its side, once sprouted would start creating a channel path that may better deliver nutrients.

Buwahahahahahahahaha(evil laugh). . .my evil plan has worked. I got everyone thinking a bit outside of the box! I would guess that germinate timing might be affected but seed viability is a whole new monster.

in fact, it may even be a hindrance, with the micropyle pointing downward, oxygen and moisture may have a harder time being absorbed due to soil being compacted around the pore.
i would think a seed lying on its side, once sprouted would start creating a channel path that may better deliver nutrients.

That's actually a really good point BC. This was a serious thought and I would like to look into it a little more.

as you can tell, i have a lot of time on my hands and i use it wisely.....studying lots of topics!

i had to look into seed germination a few months back when my douglahs weren't dropping their casings, 1 was so tight the seedling rotted right at the micropyle opening. not wanting this to happen to the other seedling i tried to pry the cap off and i knew the same fate was going to happen but this time i was going to be the cause. so i grabbed my toenail clippers and gently trimmed away at the edge of the casing - it released and the cotyledons were free, free to open like wings of an angel.........like how i added that?

well that got me thinking about the rocoto you sent me and the other locatos that i am having a challenging time getting to germinate(1 of your rocoto has germinated but he's tiny). with the other rocotos in the germination chamber, i started to think....the rattling noise got too loud and i had to lay down....but after that i was back at it. i took my toenail clippers and trimmed all around the rocoto edge casing....again without thinking, what i dumb, unplanned manouver - didn't work. so i looked into just how a seed germinates - this time i have 2 more rocotos in the germination chamber, this time i am going to take a fine knife and gentlely pierce the micropylar opening to allow moisture into the embryo and see if that improves my success.

last week i was studying on banana peels for phosporous and potassium, one site said just chop them up and place them around the base of your plants to deter aphids and give your plants that extra boost and it won't burn your plants like chemical fertilizers. Wrong, i have a bunch of seedlings now with burnt leaves, so i quickly pulled away the chopped banana peels. but i am saving them and will dry the peels and blend it in with my soils.

this week is the actual bacteria that compost tea supports that are beneficial micro organisms that promote good plant growth and health. have a lot good ideas boucing around my skull on that topic.

as an experiment, one could try to sandwich a few seeds between glass or plastic, situated in different positions in soil and watch the results.

..........on another note, one of the bonda ma jacques you sent me sprouted this morning after about 6 weeks, i almost gave up on them.

Buwahahahahahahahaha(evil laugh). . .my evil plan has worked. I got everyone thinking a bit outside of the box! I would guess that germinate timing might be affected but seed viability is a whole new monster.
Hay Red.

I play outside the box once an a while, but like to keep my head inside the box. especially when I'm planting seeds :whistle: :woohoo:

SC

@ BC - That's great news man! I just threw three of those Bulgarian Carrots you sent me in the 72 cell germ tray I started this morning. I'll let you know how the little guys do.

Back