• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Just curious

Just wondering why most of the peppers sold at the grocery store are all green - jalapenos, anaheims, serranos, and most bells. Just in the past few years have I seen colored bells available, and the only other pepper I've seen sold ripe is habaneros.

I admit I'm fairly new to pepper growing, but in my experience the flavor is always better once the pepper turns colors.

Just wondering why most of the peppers sold at the grocery store are all green - jalapenos, anaheims, serranos, and most bells. Just in the past few years have I seen colored bells available, and the only other pepper I've seen sold ripe is habaneros.

I admit I'm fairly new to pepper growing, but in my experience the flavor is always better once the pepper turns colors.

Hi good question, penos, heims and ranos travel better to the markets while green and last longer in the bins, while green bells are sold as such, there are Hybrids, originally from Holland, which are grown specificly for their ripened colors, most command red ,yellow,and orange. Some of the hotter Thai's and Habs seem to soften shotly after ripening, most sold in the U.S. are picked short of ripening but once ripened the bitterness you would get from an unripened green hot pepper is gone, hope that answers part of your (?)

Hi good question, penos, heims and ranos travel better to the markets while green and last longer in the bins, while green bells are sold as such, there are Hybrids, originally from Holland, which are grown specificly for their ripened colors, most command red ,yellow,and orange. Some of the hotter Thai's and Habs seem to soften shotly after ripening, most sold in the U.S. are picked short of ripening but once ripened the bitterness you would get from an unripened green hot pepper is gone, hope that answers part of your (?)
+1

also they do it for money because plucking them green allows the plant to produce more peppers! and the peppers must sit on the plant longer to fripen therefore lowering the total harvest in return raisin the price of the pepper. that is why Red/yellow,orange bell peppers cost more than the green as well as red jalapenos cost more than green.

Eric

Yeah, I kind of figured that somehow it came down to money ...

So basically, people that have only eaten grocery store peppers, don't know what a "real" pepper tastes like.

to an extent yes. they know what unripe peppers taste like. plus i find that homegrown peppers taste WAY better even when unripe that store bought peppers due to the store peppers are grown for numbers not so much taste or heat! i grew jalapenos last year that tasted better than any jalapeno i had ever eaten from a store, so this year i am growing a bunch of different peppers since i love HOT foods and can never find good HOT pepper at the store in my area!

Eric

Back