• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Just finished my first straight razor restoration

This is a Clauss I bought a while back.
For the highlighting on the scale engraving I used some water-based acrylic airbrush paint thinned with water and a couple of drops of Dawn dish washing liquid to aid in flowing.
Wiped it all over, let it dry several minutes and then wiped it with a rag moistened with a mixture of Simple Green, Windex and water ( a good airbrush cleaner by the way for water-based acrylics).
Blade was sanded with 320, 400 and 600 grit sandpaper and then finished with the Micro Mesh polishing system of 2400, 3200, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 grit polishing grits.
I then used some Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish to finish it.
Haven't honed it yet as I just got my Norton 220/1000 and 4000/8000 the other day and need to lap them first.

This is how it looked when I received it:

ClaussEngravedScaleRazor003.jpg

ClaussEngravedScaleRazor002.jpg

ClaussEngravedScaleRazor004.jpg

ClaussEngravedScaleRazor007.jpg

This is after:

RestoredClaussEngravedScales005.jpg

RestoredClaussEngravedScales001.jpg

RestoredClaussEngravedScales006.jpg

RestoredClaussEngravedScales002.jpg

nice job

i have one that has a piece missing out of the lower top part of the blade
its made by "GEN" somebody maybe "GENTIL" not sure cause it has some deep rust pitting near the handle and its covering part of the name, it made in England that much i know, its got a ivory colored Bakelite handle about the same color as your but no scrimshaw its not fancy at all

thanks your friend Joe

Thanks slpknt. I have five more to restore. Loving the Clauss and Shumate razors. ;)

Joe, sounds cool. Sheffield steel? You said England so I assume it probably is.
Is the cutting edge missing? If so it's not usable any longer. If it's not the cutting edge it can be modified and made usable again.

The USA, Germany, England and a couple of other countries made the best steel. I am collecting ones made here in the USA as they are as good as any.

Thanks slpknt. I have five more to restore. Loving the Clauss and Shumate razors. ;)

Joe, sounds cool. Sheffield steel? You said England so I assume it probably is.
Is the cutting edge missing? If so it's not usable any longer. If it's not the cutting edge it can be modified and made usable again.

The USA, Germany, England and a couple of other countries made the best steel. I am collecting ones made here in the USA as they are as good as any.
i would assume its Sheffield, a piece of the cutting edge is broken on the front, it happened a long time ago and cant remember how it happened but im pretty sure i did it, i got it from my dad
i dont think there is any saving it

there are some very well made ones that where made close to me in SCRANTON PA my Dads Barber friend collects those and the German ones

thanks your friend Joe

Didn't know there were any wet shavers on here. I've been collecting,restoring, and using straights and the occasional DE for about 6 years now and wouldn't shave any other way!

Enjoy that Clauss, I had a 13/16ths round point that was a fantastic shaver, passed it on to a good friend.

Purchased another today so now I have 8 straight razors and counting. ;)
Just bought a Norton 4000/8000 hone and a Norton 220/1000 for setting a bevel as well.
I'm into it now. :cool:

Thanks ThePhill. I just got into shaving with straights about 4-5 months back and love it.
Purchased another today so now I have 8 straight razors and counting. ;)

That escalated quickly :)

I got into DE wet shaving maybe 2 months ago, and I quite like it. It's so easy to get a little obsessed over all the lovely products, but I've been good and stuck to my original single purchase so far.

Good job on the resto.

Nice resto.

I don't know Norton stones ... where are they from ? (I use Shapton Glass 1K - 16K)

I guess you know this blog, but to me this is the most valuable resource about sharpening on the web : http://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/

Norton water stones are made in the USA I believe. If you want a wealth of information on all aspects of straight razors I highly recommend Straight Razor Place forums. http://straightrazorplace.com/forum.php

Some of the most knowledgeable people in the world are on that forum.

Norton water stones are made in the USA I believe. If you want a wealth of information on all aspects of straight razors I highly recommend Straight Razor Place forums. http://straightrazor...e.com/forum.php

Some of the most knowledgeable people in the world are on that forum.
Yep I know well straighrazor, I often hung out there even if I didn't have an account. Also one of the best place to learn proper sharpening. It's also reminds me the debate back in 2011 around Murray Carter's razor sharpening technique (http://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/re-murray-carters-razor-sharpening-video-and-the-surrounding-debate/)

Talking about shaving, take a look at that crazy Tom shaving with a Wu A5 10 inches ... it's scary ! :woohoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmPj4BsScRc&feature=share&list=UUck4DiRGh4hCVfyD_duR03w

I am watching and reading it now. I would agree with the razor sharpening experts that the spine leading method Mr. Carter uses is inferior but hey, if that's the way he wants to do it have at it. :lol:

Just received another straight razor from ebay on Friday, its a Shumate 'Barber' and is my fifth Shumate straight razor. I am up to eight straight razors now in my collection.

Heres an ugly one for ya.
Passed down to me from who knows how old.
Probably been in a drawer or box since the 50's or 60's.
DSCN9308.jpg

Heres an ugly one for ya.
Passed down to me from who knows how old.
Probably been in a drawer or box since the 50's or 60's.
DSCN9308.jpg

Looks like a case of scale rot. The celluloid actually starts to decompose and gives off a gas that will attack all of the razor, not just the portion touching the scales.

I just bought this beauty today.

I ditched my mach 3 after using disposables for over 30 years. I went back to double edge I got an Edwin jagger DE89. I have 2 straight razors from my dad they must be from the 40's.
I don't have a strop or any honing stones. I went to the ancient barber here, in broken English I think he told me a 12,000 stone was what was needed to hone. he didn't have one anymore but he gave it a going over with the strop

old man said:
I ditched my mach 3 after using disposables for over 30 years. I went back to double edge I got an Edwin jagger DE89. I have 2 straight razors from my dad they must be from the 40's.
I don't have a strop or any honing stones. I went to the ancient barber here, in broken English I think he told me a 12,000 stone was what was needed to hone. he didn't have one anymore but he gave it a going over with the strop
Yes razors need to be honed after a while as the leather strop does not sharpen a razor it only lines up the edge.
A 12,000 grit is not necessary as an 8,000 will do the job but a 12,000 is nice to have as well as it can be used when the razor just doesn't seem as sharp as it was.

What brand of straight razors do you have that were your dads? If they are not in too bad of shape and you want to use them once again I could sharpen them for you if you want.

Back