Just found Lodge CI Woot!

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Just found this model free, on the street. Happens in NY. People put stuff out on the curb for the taking. A small amount of rust on the outside, and an oil line from where the oil was for frying on the inside. Being a germaphobe (a bit) what is my best course of action to get this sanitary and working good?

I know it's cool to keep grandma's seasoning, but for me, not a stranger's!

By the way I will be using it on the barrel grill, and not inside. And looks don't really matter.

What? You found it or did you push a little old lady down the stairs for that? Either way, WTG THP!!

Oh and as far as the oil line, you could try flipping it upside down and burning it out or better yet, fire up the coals right in the dutch and cook the built up grease right out of it.

Thanks. Yeah I figured a good burn out might work. And this will be good for on-the-grill braising and baked beans. TB, I did not push an old lady down the stairs LOL. It was a man.

I just BOUGHT the same Lodge Dutch Oven, THP. We're like twins. So cute and so precious.
Haha mine was free! Twins? Is yours 10 1/4" or 12"? Mine is 10 1/4".

And thanks geeme.

Does it still have its coating? If not, you might have to have it re-coated. When my shelves of my barrel grill rust out, I just buy new ones.

Not sure what you mean, it's cast iron, the only coating would be oil or crud! It is not enameled.

Yeah I know I've cleaned my own CI before, but since this was someone else's I want all the germies out, so I'm going to do the upside-down burnout over some serious heat, then clean, then re-season.. :)

hey Boss, Nice Score!

Any pics of the actual pot?

When borrowing the neighbor's DO's, I usually have to clean and season them before using. What has seemed to work is-
-scrub/clean (with soap if necessary) all the cruddies out
-Put it on the BBQ grill on high heat, rub it with oil, let it cook a few minutes and then cook a chicken or prime rib in the CI pot on the BBQ grill(on medium or low temp). Rinse the pot with water to clean.

Seems to season them up really good. And it's nice to keep all the greasy smoke from the high heat seasoning outside.

cooking hash browns for dinner in a 10" skillet right now~ :cool:

I got a Dutch oven with a cast iron cover/grill, a cast iron grill thats ribbed on 1 side and smooth on the other with a 14 inch fry pan in a wood box with a nylon carry case from Costco for about $50.00.

Parafin coated so it needed cooking in the oven first...

Made in China so it has a few imperfections as far as being a smooth surface on the flat grill is concerned but works great.
Only 1 piece had a surface with a flaw-the grill.
Burned off in the oven then properly seasoned it works great.

Seasoned with a couple pounds of bacon.
Used a cooking spray that worked as well for sdome of the stuff since I use the oven and fry pan more often.

Sold with the Lable"Lewis and Clark" "Era of Discovery".
Only thing I don't like is the Dutch oven has legs.
It's cover has legs on the grill side too.
The Fry Pan is great.
The box is 14 in X 19 in.
the grill is 13in X 19 in. ,flat on 1 side,ribbed on the other.
It has screw in legs for it to stand up on that are about 3 in. tall.
It comes with a useless 3 or 4 in. mini fry pan for melting butter or whatever.

So in general you get a dutch oven with a cover that has legs to use it as a grill.
A `14in X 19 in. grill.A 3 1/2 or whatever in. pan.
And a 14 in. fry pan and carry case for the stuff in a wood box thats 15 X 10 in.

Back