• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Just got Aji Amarillo Powder from Spain of all places, why is it different?

The flavor is much different then the Aji Powder i've gotten from SA and from the Aji Peppers i've grown.  I'm curious what causes different flavors from different countries?  The heat profile seems the same so I do know they are Aji Amarillo in the powder.  Its still very good just less sweet then i'm use to for that pepper.  

How exactly do growing climates in different parts of the world effect the different traits of the pepper?

What GIP sed, also before I found this site and started my exotic pepper growing adventure, Just about every website I'd visit I'd read "Aji Amarillo is a name used for several varieties of Peruvian yellow-to-orange hot chile peppers." I disagree, as will about everyone here. There is a definite flavor specivity (I invented a word!) as far as I'm concerned, and every powder and pod I've eaten so far has included this flavor as a trait. Heat, on the other hand, has varied from pod to pod. Bear in mind that I'm not a stabilized grower yet, an F1 pepper gardener, you might say..... :party:

Back