• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Just got my dehydrator!

I just got my dehydrator and had some questions. For small peppers like Thais and peruvian white habs do I leave them whole? After the peppers are dry, how do I keep them and how long will they last?

MAke a little slick in them with a knife. After dried, place them in a ziplock back and push the air out of the bag before sealing. Then store in a closet away from heat, moisture, and sunlight. I'm still using peppers I dehydrated 5 years ago.

For me thais dry quite easily even without a dehydrator and I don't slice them but I do de-stem. I also like to store pods in jars or vacuum sealed canisters but often I just double ziplock them. You can also buy (or re-use) silaca gel packs to help suck up any moisture, although some people just use rice or silica type kitty litter

chillilover said:
Cool, gonna be hard putting a little slice in 500 tiny peppers though:shocked:

It'll go faster than you think and shouldn't take you more than a half hour with a little practice. ;)

If they're really small just give each a quick stab.

chillilover said:
Cool, gonna be hard putting a little slice in 500 tiny peppers though:shocked:

Nah.... I spent an hour tonight stemming and slicing in half about 10 pounds of habs!! WHEW... you should smell my house!
My cutting board was literally dripping with oil!

K

I've been chucking all my tabascos in the dehydrator, the only thing I've done is cut the top off each one. They dry out just fine.

Jalapenos I've been cutting in half lengthwise and drying them, if you put them in skin side down, they curl into awesome little snack sticks. I could eat those things all day.

Nah, flavors won't mix in the dehydrator. All the "flavor" laden air is whooshed out by the fan. If it has a fan.

Back