• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds just got my new seeds from peppersbymail

Man ordered these seeds 5 or six day ago showed up today with a bonus gift. Talk about excited finally got reapers and got some ghosts as a gift. Now this is my first order from peppersbymail.com but have been following ajdrew, thru the forums and went to his page read his farms goals and mantras and couldn't be happier I'll start a glog and show my progress. Thanks again was awesome fast as hell and can't wait to do more buisness.

Thank you.  I am flattered.  I have got to get used to regular mail again as the fresh pod season ends and the seed season begins.  I read five or six days and thought, oh damn that took too long.  Then I noticed it was seeds.  Yes, unfortunately I do not send seeds priority.  Just regular mail, but I do use padded envelopes and I do usually ship next day.

I think you will be happy with your reapers.  I have now sold many pounds wholesale to folk who have been buying them for their sauce for some time.  A few have made me very happy about my seed saving program, saying they are plumper and bigger than they have had elsewhere.  Also, very recently a random sample was tested for SHU and they were right on the mark.  I say random because I had no idea the buyer was going to do that.  He said he would post results on THP.  Now I am absolutely not sure if this from growing them as I do or if it is dna.  Maybe a bit of the two.

The ghost pepper seeds I sent as a gift are from last year's efforts.  Despite many years of seed saving, I think what I grew last year are about average.  This year, growing so many more, I think I was able to refine the dna more.  I'll know next year.

I have a mantra?  Ya know, I am going to see if I can not come up with a statement of beliefs and link it with that word.  It is such a cool world and if I used the word manifesto I might scare people.  Great, now I am stick with the term Unipepper in my head.

Nice just got three ghosts germinated and 1 reaper so far I'll start my glog when they sprout some green. Think this is the absolute fastest I've ever germinated pepper seeds on my germination mat guess it goes to the freshness of the seeds just a guess of course, the seeds I bought from the nursery last year took 37 days to germ.

Hmmmm, without heating ghost peppers always germinate slower than reapers for me.  Have never tried side by side with heat.  I do use an incubator for ghost peppers because they take so very long.  I wonder if maybe heat helps ghost and hinders or does little for reapers.  I have so much to learn.

Ya this is a shock for me 5 days germinating the ghosts 6 for the reaper just using a cheap 9w hydro farm seedling mat under a jiffy dome at about 70% humidity running a constant 88 degrees I'm gonna try a side by side with the reapers and mat tho now I get to get my geek on time for some experiments.

Little secret - You can purchase cheat still air egg incubators for about $50.00.  Used on Craigslist or at swap meets, they are about half that.  There is a fan attachment you can buy separately which makes them even better.  They work great for seeds except that they do not allow much light in.  I use them to germinate the troublesome seeds like ghost peppers and then move out of the incubator after they break soil.  Works great and if you buy them used they are cheaper than the alternatives.

I have larger racks that I built with light bulps to warm the bottoms.  Once I get the grow room started up again this year I will post pictures.  It too is cheap but effective.  I am such a cheap bastard.  Grow mats are way too expensive for me.

ajdrew said:
Little secret - You can purchase cheat still air egg incubators for about $50.00.  Used on Craigslist or at swap meets, they are about half that.  There is a fan attachment you can buy separately which makes them even better.  They work great for seeds except that they do not allow much light in.  I use them to germinate the troublesome seeds like ghost peppers and then move out of the incubator after they break soil.  Works great and if you buy them used they are cheaper than the alternatives.
I have larger racks that I built with light bulps to warm the bottoms.  Once I get the grow room started up again this year I will post pictures.  It too is cheap but effective.  I am such a cheap bastard.  Grow mats are way too expensive for me.
Arggggg I'm gonna start looking into one now. So woke up to a kitten ate my 3 hob plants then knocked over my frickin dome, so needless to say I'll be eating kitty with an apple scorpion chutney j/k just gonna have to start from scratch those incubators have doors? Would this work http://www.ruralking.com/gqf-manufacturing-hova-bator-thermal-air-egg-incubator-warmer-chicken-duck-quail-goose-1602n.html

Yes, that is very close to what I use.  I bought the cheaper ones by a different company and then bought the fan attachment.  That one seems to have a fan built in.  I started a poultry business years ago, kept buying the small incubators because I could not afford a large one.  Then bought a larger cabinet incubator and the little ones just sat till I tried using them for ghost pepper germination.  I have used them with those little peat pellet things but what I really like is the twisted up newspaper pots ( google Pot Maker Newspaper) because I have a lot of sitting time in the winter to make my own pots.  That and I am big into reusing / recycling.

Anyway, they have windows on top and come with thermometers.  You put the thermomiter where you can see it threw the window and adjust the heat.  People will surly argue because all seed is different, but I have had best results with ghost peppers up around 98 degrees.  Not sure what other peppers want.  My main difficulty has been with ghost peppers and even then mainly because we do not keep the home as warm as most.  I am a cheap bastard and propane has been very expensive.

ajdrew said:
Yes, that is very close to what I use.  I bought the cheaper ones by a different company and then bought the fan attachment.  That one seems to have a fan built in.  I started a poultry business years ago, kept buying the small incubators because I could not afford a large one.  Then bought a larger cabinet incubator and the little ones just sat till I tried using them for ghost pepper germination.  I have used them with those little peat pellet things but what I really like is the twisted up newspaper pots ( google Pot Maker Newspaper) because I have a lot of sitting time in the winter to make my own pots.  That and I am big into reusing / recycling.
Anyway, they have windows on top and come with thermometers.  You put the thermomiter where you can see it threw the window and adjust the heat.  People will surly argue because all seed is different, but I have had best results with ghost peppers up around 98 degrees.  Not sure what other peppers want.  My main difficulty has been with ghost peppers and even then mainly because we do not keep the home as warm as most.  I am a cheap bastard and propane has been very expensive.
Yeah think I'm gonna get that or a cabinet would work as well. I'm very frugal as well I repurpose everything I can, as they say necessity is the mother of invention.

Cabinet incubators are expensive unless you get them used.  Lots of hobby folk buy them thinking they will go into the chicken business and then realize it takes a lot of work.  They often put them on craigslist for about half price, still hundreds of dollars.  Problem is, most of them are being sold with automatic egg turners which you do not need and should not pay for.  I guess it depends on how much you want to grow.

Back