• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Just messing around a bit...

I looked at a few recipes this past week and had a little free time on my hands, so I decided to make 2 batches.

1524620_10201331236028496_236395895_n_zpsdd14f930.jpg

Very basic recipe that I found online. Was not very "exact" on all the ingredients, it was more of a test run...twice

First batch:
1 cup assorted scorpions 
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 lime 
salt
pepper
1 clove garlic
1 can pears (29oz I believe)

I roasted the peppers and the garlic on my grill, then dropped them into my blender. Mixed it all up for about 10 minutes, then boiled for 30

Second batch was basically the same except I added a pond of strawberries and a roasted tomato also. Not sure why, probably because it was just sitting there...judging...watching..

Same process, but this was not as hot and had more flavor. I think I am going to do this one again and toss an onion and some cilantro in there...maybe even a few jalapenos and brown sugar. 

I also did a little "pickling". I ended up with 4 quart jars full of assorted scorpions, 1 jar full of moruga, 1 jar of chocolate moruga, and a pint of mixed, and another full of reapers. No idea what I am going to do with all of this, but at least it wont be going bad (hopefully)

I used:
kosher salt
white vinegar
peppers
peppercorns
carrots
onions
garlic
salt
sugar

1528708_10201331237468532_1099528518_n_zpsb0181b7a.jpg

1393318_10201331235188475_1621872913_n_zps8b9fc18a.jpg

The second batch has my smile of approval! Sounds friggen awesome. I loooove tomato based sauces over fruit based.

Carrots are a good ingredient for sauces, a great way to add a touch of sweet without going over board.

Good job!

Thanks guys. That first batch will take your breath away if you aren't careful, most people lean to the second so far.

I plan on making 2 more this weekend, everything else is getting frozen. Will update, of course..

One thing I noticed was the word "boil". It's generally something to avoid. Hold temps of 190-200 will achieve pasteurization without boiling.

There's nothing inherently wrong with boiling - e.g. you won't "burn" the sauce, but boiling introduces chaos to an otherwise controlled process. As such this may well turn out to be the best sauce you've ever made but you may not be able to replicate it.

And depending on the type of kettle you're using, the sauce may well scald on the sides, introducing bitter notes from the burnt materials.

Food for thought.
:cheers:

Yeah - there's nothing "wrong" with it - it would just suck to make "the perfect sauce" & not be able to recreate it.

In my 1st few months I mentioned boiling to a chef friend and this was the advice she gave me so just passing it along.
:)

Back