• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Kashmiri Mirch experiment

So i got some dried authentic Kashmiri mirch pods from the UK. I could not find seeds anywhere, so i tried looking for pods. The UK supplier got them from Assam India, whom got them from some Kashmiri farmers. They seemed legit and prided themselves in it being authentic. I also have a cookbook from the library called 50 greatest curries from india. They have a picture section about true kashmiri mirch and imposter kashmiri mirch chillis. Here is a book scan of a TRUE kashmiri mirch (from here).

PC316555.jpg

I bought two packages, each package had 6 or 7 whole dried kashmiri mirch. They looked exactly liked the ones in the book! I am stoked. I picked the top 4 good looking kashmiri mirch and kept the seed. Some of the mirch were small, very few had mold. I took out all seeds from the good dry pods and grind-ed it into a powder. It smells awesome and tastes really nice. Not too hot, and fruity. It is supposed to go well with indian food.

Here are some pics:

Overall pic (looks very much the same as the book)
P1020594.jpg

The top 4 pods and their seeds
P1020596.jpg

Closeup of one of the kashmiri pod and seeds
P1020599.jpg

I'm going to test the viability of the seeds. Will soak the pepper seeds in water for one night, then will try to germinate them. If it works out, i'll share the seeds.

Wish me luck!

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!...The seeds look unusually large compared to the pods but maybe that's indicitive of the size plants you'll get! :)

Back