Kashmiri peppers

It never ceases to amaze me that I learn of a new type of pepper every time I log in to this site, but lo and behold I pick up a load of mulch from a friend of mine and he offers me some seedlings, tells me they're called "Kashmiri"    Never heard of it but there are a reasonable amount of hits of it when I do an image search.  These definitely look annuum.  He got the seeds from an Indian friend of his who just called them "Kashmiri."

The four plants I got:
20140610_212515_zpseb8c85de.jpg

I'm thinking they probably grow a lot of different types of peppers in Kashmir, can anyone shed any light on this?

Also, this:
09chili_n071002.jpg

:party:

They do look like annuum, strongly resembling cayenne.  I have not heard of this variety before, but google image search gives me lots of different-looking peppers all called Kashmiri.  Perhaps instead of one specific variety, Kashmiri refers to any species from the Kashmir region?  Just my two cents.  If anyone more informed than I can give a better, definite response, please do!

Do update us on the plants, ikeepfish!

India is full of peppers, not too surprisingly. Most are annuums or frutescens, although there are a very few chinense/hybrids like Bhut Jolokia. 

Kashmir cuisine is a bit less less spicy than a lot of Indian food, but also has a lot of Muslim influence. Not so much Beef, but a lot of lamb or mutton and meat. In general, anyway. Check out Wazwan, an incredible and ritualized feast of the Muslims in Kashmir. It was featured on an episode of Bizarre Foods and is truly astonishing. 

I have some experience with Kashmiri.  In New Zealand there are numerous whole dry pods sold in Indian supermarkets.  I asked about the differences and the Kashmiri are a relatively mild chilli famous for their rich color.

I maganged to germinate some seeds from the dried pods and grew them out, definately Annuums. No specific flavour or taste, heat around 5k at a guess,  Good for drying and powder, improved flavor.  They did have high yeilds of cayenne type pods.  They improved the color of curries as promised and I ended up using them in curreis as you might paprika generally.

Presumably that's what they make the Kashmiri chilli powder from...

I bought some in India last year... it's a very bright red, and a lot milder than other chilli powders I have had.

i grew some out a few years ago and like everyone else, mild cayenne flavour and heat. nothing worth noting or remembering.
dried pods are readily available in just about any oriental store. i still buy the pods and grind them up, using them in soups and things to add colour.
the plants died off in the first year, so not very hardy...perhaps that was a good thing as they were easy to grow.

Back