• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Keep Grow Bags Off The Deck

How do you guys do it, economically of course?

I've basically been informed that if I want to use the deck (which I very much do), I need to keep the bags off the wooden deck, so it does not rot or damage the finish.  No problem.

But what's an aspiring urban pepper farmer to do when there are 25 grow bags and those little wheeley boys are $10+ a piece?

Bonus if it's easy to move, but it doesn't have to be.  Also doesn't matter what it looks like, just that it works.

Ideas?

Maybe elevating them on a rack of some sort or a table.  A cheap easy solution might be a plank of wood raised up off the porch by a couple/few CMU blocks.  An issue with anything that sits on the deck is trapping moisture underneath it, which causes a similar problem.  I opt for minimizing the points of contact, generally using folding tables - https://www.homedepot.com/b/Storage-Organization-Folding-Tables/N-5yc1vZc7nn and similar platforms.

Since your original post said you are using grow bags, and from my experience they bleed a lot of water out the bottom, You could use plant saucers like in the picture so you don't stain the deck surface. I have a bunch of the 21 inch like pictured that I bought locally for $3.95 each, smaller ones are cheaper.

698EA623-2C8A-4477-93F9-54251E4C7EB2.png

dragonsfire said:
Cut a piece of garbage bag for underneath ? :)

That is definitely my speed lol, but the lady wants nothing touching the deck, so it can dry out.

CaneDog said:
Maybe elevating them on a rack of some sort or a table.  A cheap easy solution might be a plank of wood raised up off the porch by a couple/few CMU blocks.  An issue with anything that sits on the deck is trapping moisture underneath it, which causes a similar problem.  I opt for minimizing the points of contact, generally using folding tables - https://www.homedepot.com/b/Storage-Organization-Folding-Tables/N-5yc1vZc7nn and similar platforms.

That's a good idea, but I'd have to buy quite a few tables.  Keep it in mind for down the road though.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Some of these are under 10 bucks

AMAZON Plant Trivets

Actually, I am going to buy a couple of those nicer ones for out front.  Cool stuff!

Demented said:
5 or 3 gallon bucket lids? Can't be more than $2 each. You can even get all fancy and screw on 3-4 plastic, metal, or sealed wood drawer handles as legs.

I like this idea.

DontPanic said:
Question:  Is this a deck space exposed to rain?

Yep.

skullbiker said:
Since your original post said you are using grow bags, and from my experience they bleed a lot of water out the bottom, You could use plant saucers like in the picture so you don't stain the deck surface. I have a bunch of the 21 inch like pictured that I bought locally for $3.95 each, smaller ones are cheaper.

attachicon.gif
698EA623-2C8A-4477-93F9-54251E4C7EB2.png

Not a bad idea.  I've also read that keeping a bag in a saucer that retains a little water can be good, especially on really hot days where the soil can dry out quickly, the plant can still access some water at the very bottom.

I've done some research too and found something called the nx level pot elevator, designed for the express purpose of lifting grow bags.  Can get the version made for 5 gallon pots for as cheap as $2.05, though it's $11 on Amazon.  Yikes.  Could be a winner.  I like the saucer or bucket lid ideas too, maybe with a couple of little stick on rubber feet just to lift it off the deck surface just enough.  Thanks fellas

This year, I am using square pots from Amazon that, by their design, have the drainage holes elevated above the ground, and most of the base of the entire pot is somewhat elevated above the deck or ground.  I am pretty happy with these so far.  They seem to be a reasonable value, and a good size to grow nice large productive pepper plants.

Amazon.com: Trade 7 Gallon, Re-usable Square Nursery Pot, Case of 5: Garden & Outdoor

We get saturating rains here and a waterlogged pepper plant is a pathetic sight. I've used CaneDog's suggestion for years, a couple blocks and a plank (used to call it the 20-something's entertainment center) and NO trays. Gotta let them babes drain, dontchaknow....

I have and continue to like the $Tree oil pans for basins of my 3 gallon grow bags.. Or as the base of my 5 gallon buckets.  Plenty of room to bottom water and just a bit over a buck each. 

I use the plant saucers as well. They have the advantage that they retain water in the bottom inch or two of the bag which for extended hot summer days can be an advantage. But also if you get saturating rains, they will only start waterlogged in the bottom.

Having said that, anything sitting on your deck is going to be a place for moisture and bugs to accumulate so there will be damage anyway over the long term. The only way to minimize this is to have them up on a stand of some sort with minimal points of contact. Alternatively, you could move them every now and then but I don't know how practical that would be. Maybe the ultimate would be trays with castors :)

Back