• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

keep pots inside or outside?

I'm from BC Canada and on average our summers are mild mid 70's days and probably mid 60's at night, but this years been pretty shitty lol.
The weather here for the next 2 weeks is going to average around 16C (61F) and night time temperatures of around 10C (50F) not great weather for.
I've held off hardening them up for outside until I see a 2 week forecast with some good temperatures.
Been doing some reading and watching the news and they are saying this summers average temperature could be in and around 22C (72F) during the daytime and at night around 12C (54F).
If the weather stays around that temperature should I just grow a few of my favorite ones inside and try the rest outside?
I don't have room to do all 16 under lights maybe 6 max, or should I put them all outside?

I currently have four CFL bulbs going, they are 6500K and 85W (350W incandescent) total 1400W
When bloom comes I do have three 2700K 55W bulbs I can place in

spicy_echo said:
They say you can plant outside safely once night time temps are over 50
Dunno why quote is messing up for me, sorry. Anyway, I agree and you can safely leave established plants out in the fall until temps drop below 40. I've had tough plants survive a couple nights in the upper 30s.

do what the creepy oski says.

even with my greenhouse, 8C is my drop dead outside nighttime temp. i have a remote temperature thermometer and if the greenhouse is below 8C, everything comes in.

good luck on your growing

wish i could build a hoop house just no room too.
i thought you needed 65+ at night for it to not drop flowers
more worried about that then plant dieing from cold lol

Any night it was going below 48F-ish, I put one of those garden fabric quilts, or whatever the hell they're called, over the plants. When it went below 38F, I put upside-down pots over them and the quilt. Probably unnecessary, but I'd imangine it couldn't have hurt.

Scarlet Fire said:
spicy_echo said:
spicy_echo said:
spicy_echo said:
You must feel very strongly about this :rofl:

Balduvian said:
wish i could build a hoop house just no room too.
i thought you needed 65+ at night for it to not drop flowers
more worried about that then plant dieing from cold lol
General rule is under 65 and over 95 but let me know when you live in that perfect climate. I'll be your roommate. This is just for flower drop. There are many other factors that play into flower drop other than just temp.

well time flowers come it should be near end of summer here so if its to cold ill just bring them back in side lol
weather shows nights will be above 50F in about 2 weeks so thats when they go outside

Balduvian said:
well time flowers come it should be near end of summer here so if its to cold ill just bring them back in side lol
weather shows nights will be above 50F in about 2 weeks so thats when they go outside
Like some have mentioned, most peppers will actually be fine under 50 but its just a good rule. I planted a few that even survived a few mid 30 scares. As long as your soil warms back up you'll be fine.

Pepper handle cold temps quite well if the soil & air is dry.

I got the same temp as you in Paris (16C/10C) and some of my 30 days old peppers are outside and they are doing fine (except that they don't grow much but it's because they don't get enough light).

PHB said:
Pepper handle cold temps quite well if the soil & air is dry.

I got the same temp as you in Paris (16C/10C) and some of my 30 days old peppers are outside and they are doing fine (except that they don't grow much but it's because they don't get enough light).
ya here the sun is better than where you are, during the longest time of year we get around 16 hours+ a day of sun light from sun up to sun down. go farther north in bc and its 24 hours of light on the longest day lol

spicy_echo said:
General rule is under 65 and over 95 but let me know when you live in that perfect climate. I'll be your roommate. This is just for flower drop. There are many other factors that play into flower drop other than just temp.

it's usually between 78 and 93 F here

during cold fronts the most it gets down to is 50

Back