• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Keeping Banana Pepper Seeds

I had a bumper crop of banana peppers this my first year of growing. There are still a few peppers on my plants right now. I would like to save the seed. Is it to late in the season to try and save the seeds? What exactly do I need to do if its not to late? Thank Yall in advance for any help that I might recieve.

Saved seeds may well be cross pollinated.

Banana peppers are pretty readilly available here, I only save seeds from rare varieties, and with the knowledge that something else may sprout from them.

cheezydemon said:
Saved seeds may well be cross pollinated.

Banana peppers are pretty readilly available here, I only save seeds from rare varieties, and with the knowledge that something else may sprout from them.

I've thought about that. I am actually confused about that. I dont know the why of it yet. I reckon I will find out right here, huh¿

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Why Not?;)

Cross pollination may or may not occur, (you can't see it) and it has no effect on that generation (or season) of plants.

You will not get hot bell peppers, or mild jalapenos.

If cross pollination has occurred, the seeds from those perfectly normal banana peppers will most likely produce some unstable cross.

Meaning a sickly plant with mutated peppers. (in my experience)

If those plants were readilly available, and that is all you want to grow, buy the same plants next year.

If you want something you can't buy locally as a plant (7 POTS are nice;)), then buy seeds from a reputable source.

Good Luck!

You didn't mention growing any other peppers. If you only grew banana peppers then you have a very good chance of having pure seeds. I'm assuming they're outside in the garden. If your neighbors grew peppers, then your chances of pure seed goes down. But still a good chance since most of animal and wind-borne pollen are deposited within few meters of source. Generally the close proximity to other pepper plants would decrease your probability.

Back