• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Kelp Foliar Spray

PaulG

eXtreme
I have some liquid kelp extract that I haven't used, yet - not quite sure when to start. The label says weekly sprays. Any advice on using kelp extract? Thanks in advance.

Good stuff i like to add little pinch of coffee grinds or bit of second brewed weak coffee in mine when I spray.
Really good to use a day or so before a transplant also.

If you dont refrigerate after opening (atleast the brand i got) you well get fishy smell and bloating of the bottle because of decomposition.

I've been long interested in trying Sea Magic kelp spray, which they market as a fruit/blossom turbo-charger. They recommend spraying the blossom ends prior to blossoming for increased production and larger, healthier fruit

I've been spraying every week. I tried the Neptune's Harvest 0-0-1 without the fish emulsion at first, but when mixed up in the recommended ratio of extract:water, I ended up with something the color of molasses that left behind brown spots when the water droplets dried. A little after that I came across one ounce packets of "All Natural Plant Food" from Burpee that says it's derived from Kelp and has a rating of 0-15-11. It easily dissolves in water and doesn't leave behind the residue the Neptune's Harvest did. I've used about half the packet to mix up about four or five gallons of foliar spray at the rate of a quarter teaspoon of the powdered extract to a gallon of warm water. The plants seem to love it, and eight weeks after germination I'm getting flower buds on most of the pepper plants.

Good stuff i like to add little pinch of coffee grinds or bit of second brewed weak coffee in mine when I spray.
Really good to use a day or so before a transplant also.

If you dont refrigerate after opening (atleast the brand i got) you well get fishy smell and bloating of the bottle because of decomposition.

Thanks, Route, I appreciate the advice, and the heads up about refrigerating!
What does the coffee provide to the plants?
I've been long interested in trying Sea Magic kelp spray, which they market as a fruit/blossom turbo-charger. They recommend spraying the blossom ends prior to blossoming for increased production and larger, healthier fruit

The brand I'm using is Age Old Kelp 0.30-0.25-0.15 by Age Old Organics, derived from Norwegian Sea Kelp.

http://www.ageoldorganics.com/

It was recommended to me by a friend who has been growing indoors for years. Apparently it is processed with bacterial action rather than ? . According to the directions, it can also be used as a root dip and seed treatment prior to planting.

Here's the info on product contents and microbials:

http://oda.state.or....&product_id=712

I've been spraying every week. I tried the Neptune's Harvest 0-0-1 without the fish emulsion at first, but when mixed up in the recommended ratio of extract:water, I ended up with something the color of molasses that left behind brown spots when the water droplets dried. A little after that I came across one ounce packets of "All Natural Plant Food" from Burpee that says it's derived from Kelp and has a rating of 0-15-11. It easily dissolves in water and doesn't leave behind the residue the Neptune's Harvest did. I've used about half the packet to mix up about four or five gallons of foliar spray at the rate of a quarter teaspoon of the powdered extract to a gallon of warm water. The plants seem to love it, and eight weeks after germination I'm getting flower buds on most of the pepper plants.

Hey, Rick. thanks for the detailed response, as always : )
I'm going to mix some up and start spraying. At 1 teaspoon per gallon,
I can't imagine it would color the water very much, but we shall see.
I'll let you know what transpires. Thanks again, bud.

Hey Paul! I do foliar feedings but I also add worm castings, unsulfered black strap molasses & Alaskan humus to an aerated mix with the kelp, then after 24-36 aerating I add it to my sprayer and foliar feed all the plants. Wow do they love it!

The tubing and fish tank aerator are really inexpensive, add a cheap 5 gallon bucket with lid to brew and you are all set! :)

I also add Dr Earths bud and bloom to the tea for any flowering plants.

Hope that helps! :)

I've been spraying every week. I tried the Neptune's Harvest 0-0-1 without the fish emulsion at first, but when mixed up in the recommended ratio of extract:water, I ended up with something the color of molasses that left behind brown spots when the water droplets dried.

Hey, Rick. I mixed up some of my kelp product. It is the color of tea, and watery. I sprayed it on some of the plants today as sort of a test. After it dried, there were no brown spots. Do I need to be careful about spraying when it's warm? I mean, should I wait until evening to spray the leaves? My formula calls for 1/4 tsp per quart. I'm going out now to check the plants, so will see how they took being sprayed. I also am a bit reticent to spray my rocoto. In my experience, plants with fuzzy leaves don't like getting wet all that much. Maybe I'm overly protective.

Hey Paul! I do foliar feedings but I also add worm castings, unsulfered black strap molasses & Alaskan humus to an aerated mix with the kelp, then after 24-36 aerating I add it to my sprayer and foliar feed all the plants. Wow do they love it!

The tubing and fish tank aerator are really inexpensive, add a cheap 5 gallon bucket with lid to brew and you are all set! :)

I also add Dr Earths bud and bloom to the tea for any flowering plants.

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks, Melissa. Sounds like a great tea. That's something I want to try.
How often do you treat the plants with the mix? Socal Chilehead has a
great tea mix too. He's the one that first got me interested. Thanks again for the reply!

Lots of people here in florida dump there used grinds near there palm trees it keeps pest at bay and keeps the palm from catching certain diseases. it also decomposes in the soil around the plant adding nutes slowly.
I add it to the foliar spray to help keep pest off not sure how well it works because im not very consistent on my foliar feeds

I foliar spray periodically with a fulvic acid and kelp/seaweed powder solution. Best to do either late afternoon or early morning in the warmer months.
The fulvic acid stains the leaves pretty good but It doesn't harm them.
Seaweed/kelp is great for flowering plants and also helps strengthen cell walls to help with frost/draught resistance and also helps deter chewing insects.
Some formulas can also help with fungal issues by changing the pH of the leaf surface making it uninhabitable for fungal spores.
Not to mention a full spectrum of trace elements and growth hormones and beneficial Polysaccharides

I foliar spray periodically with a fulvic acid and kelp/seaweed powder solution. Best to do either late afternoon or early morning in the warmer months.
The fulvic acid stains the leaves pretty good but It doesn't harm them.
Seaweed/kelp is great for flowering plants and also helps strengthen cell walls to help with frost/draught resistance and also helps deter chewing insects.
Some formulas can also help with fungal issues by changing the pH of the leaf surface making it uninhabitable for fungal spores.
Not to mention a full spectrum of trace elements and growth hormones and beneficial Polysaccharides

Thanks for the reply, Tripp! The ingredients you mention sound like
some of the stuff in the Age Old contents. I had no idea that it was
such a multipurpose product. Will it transplant the bushes, and
harvest the pods, too ;) ? Seriously - great info, thanks again!

Thanks, Melissa. Sounds like a great tea. That's something I want to try.
How often do you treat the plants with the mix? Socal Chilehead has a
great tea mix too. He's the one that first got me interested. Thanks again for the reply!

Paul I have been giving it to them weekly for the last three weeks. My plants are growing like weeds, sorry I ever doubted my brother! Oh and don't worry about the rocoto, my manzanos have been loving the foliar feeds and are still as fuzzy as can be!! :)

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDUQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nutri-tech.com.au%2Fdownloads%2Fproduct_information_sheets%2FLife-Force%2520Home%2520Range%2FLife-Force%2520Stimulate.pdf&ei=W15-T6vTLYO4iQeY3uHIBA&usg=AFQjCNGMkbmc06BHBXe4BA88DkVrgNfiog

http://shop.nutri-tech.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50269&products_id=190&osCsid=4ae084250cb38ada983240f952eb6cc0

That's one of the products I use.

The other is seasol

Paul I have been giving it to them weekly for the last three weeks. My plants are growing like weeds, sorry I ever doubted my brother! Oh and don't worry about the rocoto, my manzanos have been loving the foliar feeds and are still as fuzzy as can be!! :)

Thanks for that tidbit, Melissa

Okay, thanks, Tripp!
Looks like a good product.

I've noticed the same thing with my Eggplants. I don't usually add dish soap to the mix so I avoid spraying at midday on sunny days because I notice that the spray beads up on the fuzzy leaves making lenses that can focus the sunlight and burn them. I understand that adding a surfactant like the dish soap helps the spray spread out more and cling to the leaves.

I've noticed the same thing with my Eggplants. I don't usually add dish soap to the mix so I avoid spraying at midday on sunny days because I notice that the spray beads up on the fuzzy leaves making lenses that can focus the sunlight and burn them. I understand that adding a surfactant like the dish soap helps the spray spread out more and cling to the leaves.

I love your posts, Rick - always contain some good tidbit of information!
I suppose a drop or two in a spray bottle is sufficient? Thanks, again.

Back