keygoes:chili - a chili keychain

Does the cap screw on? Is there a gasket in the cap to prevent air and humidity from ruining the powder?

I could see that being a lot of fun the next time I go to a Thai or Indian restaurant! 

Yes, there is a screw and also a sealing that should prevent air and humidity ruining the powder. I hope you like it.

George, Keygoes.

Is it aluminum or stainless steel?

Much more practical than the spoon injector   :P

Looks like a cool product. Good luck to ya

Wow!

I was just googling these yesterday... and came up with some plastic and various ones that were too dangerous to carry (leaks etc.). I was imagining something like this, well done!!! Is there a screw cap and shaker lid as well, or just an open mouth?

Reason I was googling was, people on here always complain about the heat at restaurants... instead of complaining about why the ghost burger or fries are not hot, go to your favorite burger joint (not hot) and add your own. Make any meal hot and stop buying into marketing. Problem solved. :)

Too many people buy into the marketing of spicy foods an end up at inferior and fast food restaurants, just because of the spicy. Which almost always disappoints.

How are these different from the little aluminum cylinders diabetics carry their test strips in?  A buddy of mine has been using one for pepper powder for years.

$0.99 here: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WaterProof-Mini-Black-Aluminum-Keychain-Pill-Tablet-Storage-Box-Case-Container-/181711128408 

Not sure I'd trust one for $1, though there are better options...

$4 here: 
http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Airtight-Pill-Holder-Keychain/dp/B0012NL9BI

That's the one my friend uses. $4 seems pretty reasonable. 

This one's $25, but it's stainless and much cooler looking: 
http://www.amazon.com/Cielo-Pill-Holders-Original-Stainless/dp/B00D2JKS6M

Is there something about the "keygoes" that differentiates itself from these other seal-able keychain containers? 

No one is out there marketing one for the chili industry, when you see a need, you go for it. What you are talking about is repurposing which in fact lets us know there is a void in the market.

Since this is made for chili powder it has little touches like the window, you know how capsaicin is when even a little escapes, I can check to see if I need to refill before leaving. He also asked for comments as this is not even made yet I'm sure, maybe a shaker screen or filling agent as suggested.

No one is claiming the reinvention of the wheel but if something is not well made or does not exist for your industry and you see a need go for it. If I bought one I would much rather support the indie chili entrepreneur than buy a generic one made for something else. I think he's onto something here. Would be a real hit at the chili conventions! Add to that, his may be the only one to show when searching for a chili powder keychain container, as most all others would be repurposed.

I wonder if a regular size matching one would be cool, and that could be the filler somehow. Like the holes match up. That would be super cool! Could be an optional purchase of course. But then you could have your ghost powder in the larger one, and when the keygoes is empty, you open and hold it up to the hole of the larger one and just shake it in. It could have a dual flip lid, one for shaking, one for filling the keygoes. :)

I think this is a brilliant idea. I wish you much success and will check out the indiegogo for sure!

The Hot Pepper said:
No one is out there marketing one for the chili industry, when you see a need, you go for it. What you are talking about is repurposing which in fact lets us know there is a void in the market.

Since this is made for chili powder it has little touches like the window, you know how capsaicin is when even a little escapes, I can check to see if I need to refill before leaving. He also asked for comments as this is not even made yet I'm sure, maybe a shaker screen or filling agent as suggested.

No one is claiming the reinvention of the wheel but if something is not well made or does not exist for your industry and you see a need go for it. If I bought one I would much rather support the indie chili entrepreneur than buy a generic one made for something else. I think he's onto something here. Would be a real hit at the chili conventions! Add to that, his may be the only one to show when searching for a chili powder keychain container, as most all others would be repurposed.

I wonder if a regular size matching one would be cool, and that could be the filler somehow. Like the holes match up. That would be super cool! Could be an optional purchase of course. But then you could have your ghost powder in the larger one, and when the keygoes is empty, you open and hold it up to the hole of the larger one and just shake it in. It could have a dual flip lid, one for shaking, one for filling the keygoes. :)

I think this is a brilliant idea. I wish you much success and will check out the indiegogo for sure!
That doesn't really answer my question. I was hoping the OP could respond. I'd like to know the difference.

All of those containers are watertight, and all seem to serve the same purpose. It's a sealable cylindrical container affixed to a keychain to carry "stuff".

To THP's post, with all due respect, putting the word "chile" on it doesn't make it a different thing, nor does it make it an "Indy chile product". If I put the word "chile" on socks, are they now chile socks? Perhaps marketing chile underwear would make Haynes part of the Indy spicy food Industry as well?

So to the OP: first, welcome to the forums. :welcome: If you don't mind, I'd like to know what the difference is between the containers I posted and your product. As a consumer, I am trying to determine value and why i would purchase one over the other.

You asked for questions - that's mine. No disrespect intended, just trying to figure it out. I'm sure I won't be the only one asking...

Thanks, and best of luck with your indiegogo campaign.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
To THP's post, with all due respect, putting the word "chile" on it doesn't make it a different thing, nor does it make it an "Indy chile product". If I put the word "chile" on socks, are they now chile socks? Perhaps marketing chile underwear would make Haynes part of the Indy spicy food Industry as well?

You asked for questions - that's mine. No disrespect intended, just trying to figure it out. I'm sure I won't be the only one asking...

I disagree, completely. Putting the word chile on socks exactly makes them an indie chile product.

No matter how much contempt you have for ad/marketing, it remains omnipresent, and the most powerful force on earth ...

The nice landing page, brushed-metal design, and observation-window speak to me in all the right ways - like Italian - and IMHO are all the differentiation that's needed in a simple device.

Like they always say, "if you don't continue to innovate, someone only has to do one thing better ..."

It's got one thing, the window ...

All I see is the opportunity to come behind w/ second product, perhaps the one that'll answer your concerns ... and he'll have a list to email blast from the campaign.

It's getting competitive out there ...

grantmichaels said:

I disagree, completely. Putting the word chile on socks exactly makes them an indie chile product.

No matter how much contempt you have for ad/marketing, it remains omnipresent, and the most powerful force on earth ...

The nice landing page, brushed-metal design, and observation-window speak to me in all the right ways - like Italian - and IMHO are all the differentiation that's needed in a simple device.

Like they always say, "if you don't continue to innovate, someone only has to do one thing
All I see is the opportunity to come behind w/ second product, perhaps the one that'll answer your concerns ... and he'll have a list to email blast from the campaign.

No contempt whatsoever.

It's got one thing, the window ...

Is that it then? The difference is that I don't have to take off the top to see how much is in there?

Maybe that's enough for you. Not sure the rest of the world would agree, but I don't speak for the rest of the world.

Would still be interested in hearing from the OP. maybe there's more here than just the fill-level window (which I agree is a nice touch).

A little spoon affixed to the inside of the cap perhaps (like the "coke-spoon" vials of the 1970s) would make it a bit more product-relevant IMHO.

I think the window is as much about displaying the contents to other people, as checking the level.

do you plop your keys on the table when out?

Have to agree with LD on this one -- what makes it a unique product and what advantage does it offer - also what is the price point they are aiming for (none of the sites linked has any estimate so is it going to be a $2, $5, $10, or $100 item ??) If inexpensive enough I could see it being a nice niche product - and maybe they could tie in with a powder or extract seller and include a couple refill size selections of powder for the indiegogo launch ( figure that might bring them more sales and also interest a vendor in distributing the product after launch.

I could see it working as a marketing item for a powder seller if it could be customized with a company logo and sold with a few powder refills for a decent price for gifting to friends/family.  But as a stand alone product I just don't see a big market for it since as pointed out it is pretty much the same as every other pill fob keychain.

Hi everyone. Thanks for a nice conversation. Campaign is running at INDIEGOGO right now - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keygoes-chili-keychain.

As I understood from your comments - keygoes has inner plastic filling inside of the metal body and this part has small holes on the top to guarantee not too much of chili comes out when using it. It is quite similar to every saltshaker.

Please come back to our campaign and help us to come closer to our goals!

Thanks

George from keygoes

and here are some picturues of prototypes:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keygoes-chili-keychain#/gallery

Why make the shaker top plastic when the rest is metal.

I think its cool. If the price was right I could see myself purchasing one.

I see the perks has listed for 969 120 shakers plus 360 fillings. With a MSRP of 2280.

So.... Just at 969 without the powder refills 120 would be 7.50. Which would be the MOST I would want to spend on it RETAIL. And the MSRP without the powder refills puts it at 19 apiece.

I wonder what do you value the powder refills at? Who manufactures the powder? How old is the refill powder? How is it stored? With or without a dessicant. These are merely questions I ask myself.

If I encountered one of these in the wild at say,a gas station, I wouldn't hesitate to drop 7.50 USD + tax on it. Unfortunately at 8 I would walk and stick with what I have.

The refill powder is of no incentive to me. But I can definitely see how to others it might be.

I, personally, like the window. Still stuck on why a plastic shaker cap though. In time it will discolor and stain. Become more porous from washing etc.

sirex said:
 Still stuck on why a plastic shaker cap though. In time it will discolor and stain. Become more porous from washing etc.

From what I see in their campaign  -- 

Chili is sealed in plastic container, which is easily replaceable.
they are selling the refills (and wish to continue selling them afterwards) as a proprietary product and plan to charge for them on an ongoing basis - Looks like the refills are the plastic portion that slides into the metal container (and is probably designed to be be permanently sealed when filled so it can not be used to put your own powder into the container in order to make you purchase the powder from them ( ie. the KEURIG/ PRINTER INK sales model - sell the container at a small profit and then gouge the user on the powder refills  that can only be purchased from them !!) 

They do not seem to be wanting to sell them as a keychain that the user fills with their own powder like most here would want to do thus they design it with a disposable insert that is sealed and not refillable making it pretty much useless for those wanting to use it with their homemade powders ( unless you go the mod route similar to refilling Printer ink cartridges by drilling a hole in the plastic insert - refilling- sealing) Since they want to go into the business of selling the refills after the product launch.

At least that is what I get from their pitch !

EDIT : Tried to ask a question on their indiego page but it will not allow public comments without funding first but in case the OP returns to answer questions will pst the questions here :
1.) Is the insert sealed so that it is not refillable with personal powders -- For those that grow their own chili plants and wish to use their own powder instead of purchasing the refills constantly ??

2.) If the inserts are sealed and not refillable what is the retail cost of the refill going to be after launch ( right now you have the 3 pack @ $5 (or $5 per 1/2 ounce of powder) but what will the cost be afterwards, if we are going to have to continually buy the powder is it going to be a reasonable cost or once the fund raiser is over do you plan to be like KEURIG and charge excessive prices for the refills since they are only available from you making the keychain useless ??

Back