Keystrokes not registering?

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
Sometimes when i'm posting to a thread and even in private messenger my keystrokes aren't registering. I've heard of similar issues with windows 10 (which is what I have on my laptop) but the same issue happens when i'm posting from my phone too and it doesn't seem to be a problem when typing on any other site or program. Just this site. Any ideas what that could be?

Haven't heard of that one. My best guess at this point is, has nothing to do with the site. But will keep eyes open for similar cases.

Edmick said:
Sometimes when i'm posting to a thread and even in private messenger my keystrokes aren't registering. I've heard of similar issues with windows 10 (which is what I have on my laptop) but the same issue happens when i'm posting from my phone too and it doesn't seem to be a problem when typing on any other site or program. Just this site. Any ideas what that could be?

Is it just certain letters or is it an entire post?  Because I am having an issue on my main rig where sometimes I'll post and all the text I wrote does not remain when I hit post - just a blank post with no words.

If it's certain letters it's probably a keyboard.  If it's an entire post let me know what you did if you fixed it.  (note: I'm using win7 pro/chrome on main rig).

I don't know if it's just certain letters because it doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't happen on any other sites or programs. Just this site (which is where I spend most of my time lol). Just sometimes as i'm typing, certain letters don't register and I have to hit it a few times for it to work. I just got this laptop a month ago so I hope it's not the keyboard. I typed this entire post without it happening btw. Most times if I X out of the site and come back in there's no problem. Weird. I do drink a lot though so maybe that's it. haha anyways, just though I would share and see if anyone else had this issue. Thanks guys.

I'm having an issue where when posting from my laptop. First post attempt always shows up blank. Sucks when I've typed up a long reply and then lose it all forgetting about issue.

Scoville DeVille said:
For me its only on this site too. Apostrophes arent showing up.

Its
Theyve
Theyre
Dont
Didnt
Im having the same issue as Scovie. My apostrophes and quotation marks dont show up after I post. They are there when I type them, they just dont post. I noticed it right away when I updated my iPhone to iOS 11. I figured it was just an iOS bug that would get fixed. But not yet.

Apostrophe issue is known iOS issue.

The iOS 11 keyboard sends smart quotes, which can cause problems. Here are a few workarounds you can try:
  • You could long-press on the quote and apostrophe keys on the keyboard and choose the simple apostrophe (') and quote (") characters. 
  • You could always send simple quotes by disabling smart punctuation in iOS Settings -> General -> Keyboards -> Smart Punctuation OFF.
Test users have said these work, try #2, turning off Smart Punctuation.

D3monic said:
I'm having an issue where when posting from my laptop. First post attempt always shows up blank. Sucks when I've typed up a long reply and then lose it all forgetting about issue.
Same exact thing for me on my main rig. I've gone through everything and think it has something to do w the extensions I'm running in chrome.

What OS/browser are you using on the laptop? For me it's become necessary to copy all my text before hitting post so I can paste them back in via edit. Have lost several long posts due to this so I feel yer pain.

SmokenFire said:
Same exact thing for me on my main rig. I've gone through everything and think it has something to do w the extensions I'm running in chrome.

What OS/browser are you using on the laptop? For me it's become necessary to copy all my text before hitting post so I can paste them back in via edit. Have lost several long posts due to this so I feel yer pain.
Same thing i'm running on my pc. windows 7 and chrome. I thought maybe it was an extension but after a bunch of trial and error it was undetermined. Suspected photobucket embed fix extension but I run it on both rigs

D3monic said:
Same thing i'm running on my pc. windows 7 and chrome. I thought maybe it was an extension but after a bunch of trial and error it was undetermined. Suspected photobucket embed fix extension but I run it on both rigs

Currently running the following extensions:

Ghostery
Pop Up Blocker 4.0.6
Do Not Track
New Tab Redirect
uBlock Origin

What extensions are you running?

(note the lost post thing doesn't seem to happen when I am quoting anyone else - just when I reply w/o quote.)

So I've figured out what was causing the issue with my keystrokes not registering. It's the strip ads at the top of the page. The ones that are actual video type ads mainly. If it gives me the option to X out of them, i'm able to type with no issues but when they're playing it doesn't register all my keystrokes. The ones that aren't video type ads are no problem.

Back