• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Kimchi

I didn't see a specific thread in here about the delicious dish that is kimchi, so I figured I would start one. I'm sure that there are some members on this forum with some really special recipes that they might want to share.

I made some kimchi tonight, since I got gifted a small batch wine kit from a friend for Christmas, and I now have a great new fermentation vessel.

Use 2 head of napa cabbage, korean raddishes, carrots, green onions, garlic, fish sauce, hot red pepper powder, carolina reaper powder, ginger powder, brown sugar, and rice flour.

Cut and salt the cabbage dry, and flip it every 30 minutes, soaking the cabbage in the saltwater that begins to accumulate at the bottom of the bowl. Do that for 2 hours, then rinse it 6 times with water to remove all of the salt.

Boil 2 tablespoons of rice flour with 2.5 cups of water, and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, until it becomes thick.

Dice up the carrots, green onions, and raddishes, then added them to a mixing bowl with 2.5 cups of red chile powder, and 2 tablespoons of Carolina Reaper powder.

Once cooled, put the rice flour sugar into a bkender with 4 cloves of garlic, and a tablespoon of ginger powder. Liquify it. Add that to the mixing bowl with the veggies and chile powder, and add 3/4 cup of fish sauce. Mix very thoroughly with your hands, and wear gloves!

Add the cabbage to the mix, and work it with your hands til everything is covered 100% with the sauce.

Put everything in jars/jugs with airlocks, and let ferment for 5 days in a dark place of the house. Put it in the fridge when it tastes to your liking, and eat it!

Attachments

• 20160126_181928.jpg
    20160126_181928.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 20160126_210712.jpg
    20160126_210712.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 139
  • 20160126_211751.jpg
    20160126_211751.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 135
Now I remember!  I'd made some piklese with purple cabbage.

Make a standard sweet pickle brine without turmeric. You can add ginger to the hot brine or just add it to the bottom of the jar.. Pack your jar full of the sliced raw red cabbage. I weep mine first with equal amounts of salt and sugar then a quick rinse.. Pour the hot brine over the cabbage and add your lid. When its cool put it in the fridge. Its ready within a couple days but i think it taste best after almost a week. It keeps very well in the fridge. Works great for radish too.

Other nice additions are Sichuan peppercorns toasted in the pan before heating the brine or a couple dried whole chiles in the cabbage. I use rice wine for this brine. Its similar to Chinese pickled cabbage recipes.

Ok. I have some clear Kifir liquid waiting to be used for a ferment, will be picking up some radish too, im going to add caraway seeds too, Mom used to cook red cabbage with caraway when I was a kid, I could never duplicate the blend she did.

I do add caraway to ruby kraut. Some people like to add apple too

Fermenting cabbage is ridiculously easy and cheap to make. Im so addicted to it that its a must for brats, Polish sausage and hotdogs. Hardly anything beats a really hot bowl of kimchi stew on a cold day and its also super easy to make.

Try making Korean Danmuji or Japanese Takuan sometime. Its a sweet fermented radish. Both are fairly similar. I just make it with a sweet pickle brine and turmeric for color. Its close in flavor.

Here is the real way to make it.http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/danmuji

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I was craving some kimchi, and I figured I'd give it a whirl with some kale with the cabbage. I used some of Stickmans gochus for the heat, and added some juice from my last batch of kimchi to kick start the fermentation.
Looking good Dale! Thanks for the reminder too, looking at your batch got me craving my own... Lol! [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Back