• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Kinda heated (mad)

So I went to my Local and bought what the card on some saplings said Ghost pepper...turns out I got Red Savina Habaneros. Like, dude..... I love hot and spicy and I paid a 1.27. But, my time and effort going into some false product..ugh!! Infuriating! And it is late into the season to try and get REAL seeds for a Ghost Pepper plant. I am mad! 

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Dan Piepho said:
Seems to be the norm rather than a rarity.
Can you elaborate a little bit more. Have you been fooled as well? My thoughts are, HOW do you NOT know! The difference and still advertise a product!

I suspect it's less about "not knowing", and unfortunately a matter of not much caring. I doubt many people would come back months later to complain, or expect some sort of compensation. Which is EXACTLY what I would do...let yourself cool off a bit, then go back and explain that you bought what you bought for a specific reason. After weeks of effort on your part, you ended up with something completely different. How would they like to fix this? It won't turn your savinas into ghosties, but maybe they'll put more care into their labeling, and maybe you'll get an extra plant or two. It might even be the start of a beautiful relationship! haha Good Luck to you! :)

Student of Spice said:
Yeah man i been there and did that too. Worth it, why you ask? Because i found this website. Best 4 bucks i was ever jipped off.
At least you have some tasty peppers with those.
Yeah^,  Most end up with bell peppers.

I dont think you will ever get around that so long as you are getting some seed from unconfirmable sources. I am growing what was supposed to be a reaper from seed acquired from a train and I am almost certain it is not a reaper. so it still happenes to all of us in some form or another.

I been growin these near a Aji Lemon and Bird Eye chili for a few months. What are the chances they cross pollinated if I wanted to grow the seeds out for a hybrid?

StrapOnFetus said:
I been growin these near a Aji Lemon and Bird Eye chili for a few months. What are the chances they cross pollinated if I wanted to grow the seeds out for a hybrid?
there is always the chance, but you could force the issue right now and do a cross pollination and increase your odds.

StrapOnFetus said:
Can you elaborate a little bit more. Have you been fooled as well? My thoughts are, HOW do you NOT know! The difference and still advertise a product!
I was dupped with 'ghost' peppers. They were medium heat and probably no chance of even a cross with a ghost. A lot of these places buy seeds that are called 'ghost pepper' and may have been dupped as well. Or they are just dishonest or like another guy said, don't care.

Back