• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Kiwi anyone?

I saved some kiwi seeds just for kicks to see if they'll grow. Maybe a Bonki? Anyone outside of NZ ever grow one of these?

Ive never grown them, but Ive seen some pretty stout vines. They are really cool looking seeing the fruit hanging there all fuzzy-like
You'll need a male and a female......

Good luck!

Ive never grown them, but Ive seen some pretty stout vines. They are really cool looking seeing the fruit hanging there all fuzzy-like
You'll need a male and a female......

Good luck!
Thanks! A male tree and a female tree? Is that just to get fruit? I come here for plant advice so much I forgot about the google monster.

yes for most varaties you need both female and male vines. Roughly 5-6 females to every male. Apparently they are notoriously hard to pollinate as well.
My Aunty and Uncle own a Kiwifruit orchard in New Zealand and had beehives from what I remember to increase pollination.
They can be quite invasive in favourable environments as well so be prepared for that

you can grow kiwifruit from seed, but you'll save yourself some time and effort by getting sexed vines. It would suck if you grew out five and they all turned out to be males. They do great where I am. I've still got lots of fruit hanging from last season--they don't ripen until you pick them.

Back