• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Know anything about these habs?

Went to a nice, little Italian place for dinner last night with the family, and I saw jars of habs sitting on the shelf. $2.29 for 12 ounces, hey, I wasn't going to complain, so I bought a couple of jars. They're labeled as Giuliano brand "World's Hottest Habanero Peppers", and are whole habs suspended in a water/vinegar solution. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Reasonably good quality, taste, and heat, or did I blow $5 on sub par peppers?

I'm really tempted to crack this thing open and try downing one, but I get the feeling that eating a whole hab at 12:30 AM is just begging for some fire down below around 2:00.

That's really cheap. I've seen them on an English web site for $7.83 and that's not including postage. If I've done the conversion right that's £3.95.

rainbowberry said:
That's really cheap. I've seen them on an English web site for $7.83 and that's not including postage. If I've done the conversion right that's £3.95.

Sounds about right. I found these for ya..same site perhaps?

Giuliano's Pickled Habanero Peppers
Great for adding to all your favourite dishes. Beautiful Hot fruits in vinegar.

Ingredients : Pickled Peppers

340g

Country of origin : USA
Price: £3.95
http://www.hot-headz.com/acatalog/Snacks_&_Fiery_Foods.html

About 3/4 the way down the page.

Pretty wild considering they are $12 (!) on their own website.

-QS

They won't be as hot now that they are pickled. Usually marketing demands that new and more interesting names be put on peppers, but if they are habs, they will be good.

I use pickled habs in salsas and sauces.

cheezydemon said:
They won't be as hot now that they are pickled. Usually marketing demands that new and more interesting names be put on peppers, but if they are habs, they will be good.

I use pickled habs in salsas and sauces.

I didn't realize that pickling made them lose heat. Is it just part of the process, or does some of the cap just blend in with the juice leaving the peppers themselves weaker?

gardenkiller said:
I didn't realize that pickling made them lose heat. Is it just part of the process, or does some of the cap just blend in with the juice leaving the peppers themselves weaker?
It's all cause of that damn vinegar.

They're definitely pickled. Not the ones Rainbowberry linked to, but QuadShotz linked to the exact type. I'm still waiting on the ceremonial first try at them. I know vinegar cuts the heat, but habs are still habs. ;)

I have had fresh habs that were too hot to eat alone and I made pickeled eggs and put in 12 cut in half and they have almost no heat now and the eggs are not hot either so I am thinking the vinagar and salt ate up some heat ..

I've found that its very difficult to make spicy pickled eggs. I think the egg white acts as a protective layer preventing the heat from penetrating easily

POTAWIE said:
I've found that its very difficult to make spicy pickled eggs. I think the egg white acts as a protective layer preventing the heat from penetrating easily
Might I suggest a flavor injector needle?

imaguitargod said:
Mmmmm...pickled Pam Anderson......
I'm sorry to tell you, but she hasn't been a hottie for a long time. "just hot" maybe, but not a super-hottie.
Mmmmm... pickled Eva Longoria. :)

Omri said:
I'm sorry to tell you, but she hasn't been a hottie for a long time. "just hot" maybe, but not a super-hottie.
Mmmmm... pickled Eva Longoria. :)
I chose Pam Anderson because I think the Hepatitous C would add an intersting flavor when pickled...ZIGN!

Back