• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Kratky grow

Sitting around the house twitching because its still a month or so to early for me to start my grow....but I was Jonesing to do something...I had two small Mazzetti peppers growing in a cup under my lights so I took one and started a little Kratky grow.....at least I get something to monitor every morning when I get out of bed...lol.
I have never grown these before but a guy at work brought me a few pods from his plant and I really enjoyed the flavor of these pods so I kept seeds.....and now here we are.
I will post the progress of this plant once a week.....once it grows up to my lights I will move it up to the sliding glass doors in the kitchen.

kratky mazzetti1.jpg

Okay its been 13 days and the plants are starting to take off....I am using the 3 part General Hydroponics nutrients for my grow ...1 teaspoon of each to a gallon of water....I think the plants are starting to adjust very well and I will post back in a week or so.

IMG_4258.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

Root system is starting to take.

IMG_4261.JPG

Started this Kratky grow on exactly the same day with to exact same peppers from the same soil and conditions......dont really know what is going on with one of them.
It has been 23 days and one pepper is doing outstanding but the other is way behind.
Maybe when I washed the soil off and placed them in the rockwool I did some kind of root damage.....I was super careful.

You can really see the difference in the root system,one is going crazy and the other has almost nothing but the plant is still moving forward...just real slow....I will not give up on it yet.

Krat feb 19 a.jpg

Krat feb 19 b.jpg

Krat feb 19 c.jpg

Krat feb 19 d.jpg

Krat feb 19 e.jpg

Krat feb 19 f.jpg

Some plants are just slow. Genetics plays a big role. 

That's one reason I like to plant-out at least two of
every variety. If I had the room, I'd have four of each.
There is so much variation in the plants' expression
of the genes that you need several specimens to see
what the possibilities really are.

That being said, perhaps there is an issue with the
smaller plant. But, since they received the exact
same careful treatment, I'm not sure that's the case.

PaulG said:
Some plants are just slow. Genetics plays a big role. 

That's one reason I like to plant-out at least two of
every variety. If I had the room, I'd have four of each.
There is so much variation in the plants' expression
of the genes that you need several specimens to see
what the possibilities really are.

That being said, perhaps there is an issue with the
smaller plant. But, since they received the exact
same careful treatment, I'm not sure that's the case.

Ya that little guy does not show any ill signs......maybe I will just turn the Rock & Roll up a little louder.
I am pretty sure it will take off once the root structure gets a bit more mature....at least I am hoping so.

Well it is March 1st and upon examining my to plants using the Kratky method....my one plant is taken off real nice but the other is still struggling and I don't know whats going on with it.
It seems to show purple coloration in the leaves.....and it started to send out a couple of new fine roots that just die off....the plant is not dying but not growing.....I may put it into some potting soil to see if it will take off that way.

Krat mar1 a.jpg

Krat mar1 b.jpg

PaulG said:
That's odd about the smaller specimen, but
the one on the left is lush and beautiful!

It is really odd....I even changed out the nutes for fresh just in case I had messed up.....it started to show signs of new root growth with about 3 new shoots poking out of the rock wool...checked back a couple days later and they had browned up and died off.

I was reading a few older kratky threads awhile back now and both had issues where the water/nutrient level was too high and drowning some of the smaller "finer" roots that did much of the uptake..esp when they were smaller.

I have zero experience with kratkys but just trying to help toss some ideas out for ya.

CDNmatt said:
I was reading a few older kratky threads awhile back now and both had issues where the water/nutrient level was too high and drowning some of the smaller "finer" roots that did much of the uptake..esp when they were smaller.

I have zero experience with kratkys but just trying to help toss some ideas out for ya.

Thanks for looking...I have done the Kratky method many times....this is the first one that has been failing me.....I understand that plants need water,oxygen and light to grow.....i make sure the nutrient level just touches the bottom of the net cup....the bigger plant is almost all roots and it will have to go into a bigger container  and only fill half way so some roots take in oxygen....or i will keep it in the same container and fill with nutes and add an air stone.

Sizzle Lips said:
Here's today's root pics......big difference.

attachicon.gif
Krat mar1 c.jpg

attachicon.gif
Krat mar1 d.jpg

Aye its like night and day eh.....Could just be a dud plant...it certainly happens. I would go with your gut and toss it into soil and see what goes down. Maybe the double cup method and see if you can get some strong rootage going on then could even toss it back to kratky after even .

But if it were me I would change it  up for sure.

March the 4th......took the small kratky plant out of the nutes and washed off what little root there was..put it into some Miracle Gro seedling mix to see if it likes dirt better.
Figured I have waited long enough to start some seeds for my grow this year,so after soaking in plain distilled water over night....I put them in dirt.
I actually waited about 10 days longer to start this year....everything grew way to fast inside and out grew those solo cups real quick....I only want to repot once before going into my buckets.

Mar 4 2019 a.jpeg

Mar 4 2019 b.jpg

Sizzles 2019 grow list
Starting 3 of each

1 Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
2 Scotch Bonnet WHP
3 Scotch Bonnet Freeport Orange
4 Kraken Peach
5 Gator Jigsaw
6 Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
7 Bahamian Goat
8 Bengal Naga Peach
9 Carolina Reaper
10 Black Panther Orange
11 Naglah Beast
12 Orange Ribbon
13 Dedo De Moca Yellow
14Mazzitti Red

PaulG said:
Great list of awesome varieties, SL! 
Looking forward to seeing them in full
glory this Summer  :cool:

Hope that little transplant pulls out for you!

Thanks for looking Paul....yes I will be keeping an eye on that little fellow in the dirt.

Nice Grow list, very hot!

Reference your two plants, where one is storming away and leaving the other behind.

I have seen this many times, including like your grow where all the other environmental factors are as equal as possible.

I would guess it is purely down to genetics.

I mainly grow two of each variety and have the same thing now. I will grab a photo and show you what I mean.

As promised. Here are the twins!

389b1e50079870e696f6007e30e4b978.jpg

heefy said:
Nice Grow list, very hot!

Reference your two plants, where one is storming away and leaving the other behind.

I have seen this many times, including like your grow where all the other environmental factors are as equal as possible.

I would guess it is purely down to genetics.

I mainly grow two of each variety and have the same thing now. I will grab a photo and show you what I mean.

As promised. Here are the twins!

389b1e50079870e696f6007e30e4b978.jpg

Thanks for looking.....I think the little guy was just lazy.....when I pulled it out of the rock wool there was almost zero root system....i mean zero...we will see if it favors being in the dirt...

Back