• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Kratky Hydro - What am I doing wrong?

I setup a small Kratky hydro experiment a month ago using a red Bhut.  Initially, my PH was too basic, so the largest leaves started to yellow and initial roots turned dark.  But, after I picked up a ph meter and ph control kit, the plant picked up nicely and had good looking new leaf and root growth.  I've been keeping the ph at 5.9 with general hydroponics nutrients at ~600ppm.  Tonight I noticed some dark spots on the new growth that looks like some sort of cell death.  Any thougths on how I could improve this?  Maybe I need to buy a pump and airstone to oxygenate the roots? 

no theyre dead or soon anyway

it also looks like you have some clear slime choking out other roots

what was the water level in there?

Im no expert here but heres what Id do if I was you. Use a new reservoiur and bucket and get a pump and airstone as well as trim back brown roots a little. The water wasnt circulating enough it looks like. Again Im no DWC expert

Heckle said:
no theyre dead or soon anyway

it also looks like you have some clear slime choking out other roots

what was the water level in there?

Water level is about 2 inches below the net cup.

miguelovic said:
Is that bundle of brown roots slimey?

They don't seem too slimy at the moment.  They were pretty slimy before I had my ph corrected.

I'll go ahead and trim the old brown roots out tonight and replace with fresh nutrients.  Thank you all for the suggestions.

Root rot is unlikely to go away without some form of treatment whether it be a sanitizing solution or beneficials. A good cannabis website like ICmag has the cumulative results of dozens if not hundreds of growers on different solutions if you don't mind sifting out the chaff.

miguelovic said:
Root rot is unlikely to go away without some form of treatment whether it be a sanitizing solution or beneficials. A good cannabis website like ICmag has the cumulative results of dozens if not hundreds of growers on different solutions if you don't mind sifting out the chaff.

I'm thinking about buying a small pump and airstone.  Do you think I would still need treatments or sanitizing solution if I go that route?

I wouldnt give up yet. I had a high ph burn roots in DWC and once I corrected it went away. The affected roots were pulled and fell off. All I ever did was rinse everything with tap water, the roots, the container, the hydroton...

Pull off the black and slimy roots, rinse everything, especially the roots and see what happens.

dan5505 said:

I'm thinking about buying a small pump and airstone.  Do you think I would still need treatments or sanitizing solution if I go that route?

Perhaps, I have no experience with hydro set ups beyond coir.

dan5505 said:
I setup a small Kratky hydro experiment a month ago using a red Bhut.  Initially, my PH was too basic, so the largest leaves started to yellow and initial roots turned dark.  But, after I picked up a ph meter and ph control kit, the plant picked up nicely and had good looking new leaf and root growth.  I've been keeping the ph at 5.9 with general hydroponics nutrients at ~600ppm.  Tonight I noticed some dark spots on the new growth that looks like some sort of cell death.  Any thougths on how I could improve this?  Maybe I need to buy a pump and airstone to oxygenate the roots? 

Is your container a plastic coffee container spray painted black?  I'm asking because I'm looking for a container around the house to grow some plants with Kratky myself.

Hope your roots have cleared up :)

M

The roots did clear up, but the plant is growing slowly. I am having much better luck feeding nutrients to my plants that are in soil from the bottom

I spray painted a clear container from walmart.

Back