• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Kratky Method Hydroponic Totes - Setup Tips

Thank you. Waiting for part 2. Question is, can I do the same using 5 gallon home depot bucket and lid?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

saiias said:
Thank you. Waiting for part 2. Question is, can I do the same using 5 gallon home depot bucket and lid?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Yes, you can use a 5 gallon bucket. I use containers around 32 to 44 gallons in size when I setup large peppers with a fill it up and walk off approach. With a 5 gallon bucket, you will need to keep the nutrients topped off manually, or use a float valve to refill the bucket. Here is a quick way to make a refill reservoir. https://youtu.be/YvdQcA-XWM4

Have you had any problems with the water becoming too warm in the summer?  I understand that as water temp goes up, its ability to hold oxygen (dissolved) goes down.  Do you do anything to manage water temp?

Oleic said:
Have you had any problems with the water becoming too warm in the summer?  I understand that as water temp goes up, its ability to hold oxygen (dissolved) goes down.  Do you do anything to manage water temp?
Hot weather does not affect Kratky growing in the same way, since the gas exchange roots are not submerged. See this video.
https://youtu.be/OcpFULoPfEo

deep_roots said:
Hot weather does not affect Kratky growing in the same way, since the gas exchange roots are not submerged. See this video.

Thanks very much for that.  I do Dutch bucket hydro.  Forgot about the air root thing with Kratky.  Have you had any trouble drowning the roots when refilling?  My understanding is that, ideally, you use a large enough reservoir that you don't need to refill over the life of the plant.  But if you do need to refill, you have to be careful about how high you fill to avoid shocking the plant/drowning the air roots that were above the water line.

Oleic said:
Thanks very much for that.  I do Dutch bucket hydro.  Forgot about the air root thing with Kratky.  Have you had any trouble drowning the roots when refilling?  My understanding is that, ideally, you use a large enough reservoir that you don't need to refill over the life of the plant.  But if you do need to refill, you have to be careful about how high you fill to avoid shocking the plant/drowning the air roots that were above the water line.
You are correct. I use the large containers to avoid that issue with refilling.

Back