• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Kuri squash

I have been growing Kuri squash in the gold or red form for a few years now. This year I got two blue forms of them in my seedlings from plants that have only produced golden or red squash since I started with them. They already have a blue form just I never had them before, not a hybrid with other squash I have grown just a color reversion of its own doing. Squash is compared to peppers very easy to secure pollinate as they can take a lot of punishment and ruff handling and not abort. I trim the petals off female and male flower buds the night before they open and cover them. Then in the morning snip the open anthers loaded with pollen and by mid day to afternoon pollinate the stigmas on the female flowers once they are sticky with sap. This being said I will have seed of them for sasbe to any members on here wanting to try them ( lets try and keep this in the USA). I also have french bush pumpkins that I have grown for about 3 years as well available. Last I have seed of a similar squash called Kabocha but did not grow these myself this year so could be crossed up. All are great baking squash that when fully cooked even the skin melts into your mouth.
DSC06497.jpg

DSC06501.jpg

DSC06502.jpg

DSC06500.jpg

DSC06503.jpg

Here is a monster French bush pumpkin. The french made them one of the highest sugar content pumpkins you can grow.
DSC06436.jpg

hmm. "kuri" in Japanese means "chestnut" and there's a French pumpkin strain known as "Marron" (means "chestnut") and I have been bugging my friends living in France to bring me seeds for a couple of years now. Was this (Marron) the variety of French bush pumpkin that you have in your pic? Is the flavor anything like chestnuts?

Back