• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

La Palma volcanic eruption of Cumbre Vieja

I don’t know if anyone else has been following this, but the volcano on La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain has been erupting for over a month. At this point it’s swallowed one town and is nibbling at another. Evacuations have been successful, so while property loss and economic disruption is massive and tragic, I don’t think anyone has died.

My favorite seed seller is Peter Merle, owner of Semillas La Palma. I contacted him yesterday for something else, but also wished him well in light of this disaster. He confirmed that they are fine, having moved to a different Canary Island, Lanzarote, a few years ago. However, he mentioned that the location of their previous greenhouses is covered by lava and their old house has been evacuated and inaccessible since the beginning. He said it would have destroyed the business.

A bullet dodged this time, but a good reminder that the wider we spread and share valuable chile genetics, the less vulnerable we are to losing any in the event of local disaster.

Wise words indeed and this year is as important as any to spread those seeds with friends and people new to growing and offer anything else they may need seed wise as these may be needed in the future.

Back