artwork Label art

hello jeffh,

just from personal experience... I went to a local web designer with a pretty clear idea of what I wanted. They offered to do a couple other designs, I didn't know I was going to be charged for those "other" designs. I paid for it but am obviously not happy about it.

If you have your clear idea, sketch it out (even if it's stick-figure type drawings) and communicate it immediately to whoever you choose to work with. Whether it's your colors, the lay-out, the incorporation of a certain graphic, get it as concise as you can. When you say "I want something like a snake on the label..." that could be anything or positioned any way....

If you tell them "I want a coiled rattlesnake with 3 coils, the rattle on the left and the head to the front/right and to the left of the snake it says...XXXXXXX and to the right it says.....YYYYYYYY" " that will help you get your label the way you want it without a lot of wasted work.

I think I would have been better off just sitting there next to the web graphics person saying, Yes No Left Right....

good luck and have fun with your project-
SL

There's a few people on here that are very talented when it comes to art. Like SD said Sethsquatch and another one who does amazing work is Omri. If you go with a design company follow SL advice don't get burned.

My graphic artist is a fantastic artist and very professional person - she understood how much of an iterative process it was and charged me a flat rate for the project - thank god, as it took many months and countless reworks to get it just right. we started with several styles, narrowed it to the style I loved then narrowed further to iron out all the tiny details. My profile pic is my label - but she can do pretty much anything.

It's hard because you have an image in your mind's eye and No matter how talented artists are not mind readers.

Please feel free to PM me for her contact info. I'm happy to send her business as she made a set of labels for me that people love, are iconic, we're exactly what I'd envisioned and are somehow familiar all at once. I am forever grateful to her and truly cannot recommend her enough.

Her name is Kara Thauer and she's in Seattle. Very responsive to email, terrific to work with and really approaches it with a carpenter's attitude, which I think is somewhat rare in an artist. I've dated several and they can be, uh, flighty (to be polite) when it comes to business.
;)

Best,

Scott

love your labels - great artist! Very talented!

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you. Drop me an email from the http://www.highriversauces.com and I will emaqil you some contacts of artist I use. They normally charge me about 100-150 bucks.

Once again I apolgize for the delayed response. I just noticed I never responded. Sorry about that brother.

Cheers
Steve

Back