labels Label design, feedback appreciated.

Here's what I've been using for my labels. I really dig it but will be tweaking it to add the UPC code and Nutritional panel so I figured that's a good time to make any other changes.  
Thanks for checking it out!

Attachments

• finishedLabeljpg.jpg
    finishedLabeljpg.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 54
Looks good but some color would be nice along w/ a cleaner font.  Maybe it;s me but I gave up on New Times Roman years ago.  When I see it now it looks dated.  The cat could have better definition and may just look like a dark shadow when shrunk down to bottle size.  I just noticed the cat is wearing a general's uniform but I doubt that would be discernable in black and white on a 3x5 label.  Good luck.

Ken 

Like the brand name,
Like the sauce name.
Like the photo.
Love the black & white.
Love the ingredients.

Lose the "presents..." and the diatribe of "We are proud to bring you..." paragraph. No cat ever grilled a Habanero. Ever.
If you are a serious hot sauce maker, don't try to sell me a movie, or a book. Sell me a hot sauce.
You probably love Maxwellicus (I would have too, I'm sure) but we are looking at Hot Sauce, not your pet.
Put all that stuff on your website, not the label. 
Make your Brand name your Brand name, and the product name your Product name. Two different things but both are very important.
If you have other sauces, your Brand name should be there and the same font, type, size etc. Think Heinz, Kraft, Johnson & Johnson, and so on.
[Brand] [Product].

Just my 2¢

So, where can I get this stuff? I want to try it!

Hi General,
This is an interesting design you have going.  Fyi, there is a pretty well established Fat Cat Hot Sauce company.

As far as details on the label-
don't need "made with care in Baltimore" on the front label.  You'll need contact information on the back anyway, that would be the place to put it. 
"Made with care by Fancy Cat
123 Main Street
Baltimore MD 01234"

need metric as well as ounces for weight

Don't say "Created On-"  That dates your sauce.  If it goes 6 months before it sells, people will be "EWWW!  This is 6 months old.  I'm not buying that"  If you put a Best By, that's a target date in the future.  It could be 2 years from date of manufacture, but even a year and a half later, people will say, "Oh, I have 6 months for this sauce.  Cool."

Agree with Scovie, not really feeling the text in the romance panel.  It's very valuable real estate on the label that should describe the sauce, how to use it, what it's best on. 

Oh! and a Heat Scale/thermometer of some kind.

Sounds like an interesting sauce.  Good Luck with it.

my .02~  :)

I like that the cat is a general. Ha. He looks cool.

I think you should name the sauce:

General Gato's

Sounds better to me than Good General's. Gato being Spanish for cat and it ties in any chili pepper from Spanish speaking countries. Doesn't even have to but it does.

I don't like "Made with care..." Handcrafted in Baltimore maybe?

Homemade look, but something that looks like it was "made to look" homemade. Not an amateurish Photoshop look. Like those jams in supermarkets that still have the farmers market look. They want to retain that.

Thanks!
Lots of good feedback so far.

The font is called Baskerville Antique and I thought it matched the era of the cat but know I see it may have missed the mark.

I was on the fence about the "made with care" and now I'm not. I'll reword that.
I am definitely going for more of a grass roots but classy look. I'm inspired by turn of the century advertising.
I'll rework it and post again before going to print. I'm really grateful to have found such a helpful community of folks.

The stars at 12 and 9 o'clock (and some others) are not stars for some reason.

And trim up where the cat bleeds past that line into the star area.

TheGoodGeneral said:
I was on the fence about the "made with care" and now I'm not. I'll reword that.
I am definitely going for more of a grass roots but classy look. I'm inspired by turn of the century advertising.
I'll rework it and post again before going to print. I'm really grateful to have found such a helpful community of folks.

When I was writing my romance panel I considered "made with love" but immediately realized the sexual connotation - I'd avoid that one too. 
;)

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
When I was writing my romance panel I considered "made with love" but immediately realized the sexual connotation - I'd avoid that one too. 
;)
There are products that use "made with TLC". The fda frowns on love as an ingredient.

Like your ex girlfriend would say: "prove it"

Defcon makes sauces with hate, contempt, and a couple other descriptive words...  :evil: .....  :rofl:

edit- I think it's DISTAIN and CONTEMPT and things like that...not hate.....  The Creator's not a Hater...He Loves Bunnies!!!  He's :cool:~

best wishes and Have Fun!  Looking forward to seeing the final product. 

SL

Back