labels Label Design

This is just an idea put together. I have an original drawing of other Cocks. I have to get the original in to the design.

DELETED PHOTO.  :shh: Please excuse my ignorance.

Cockfigthing might be too controversial and hurt you in the long run (animal cruelty), but... dude you totally stole that image.

wind-mckim-william-1916-1995-u-cock-fight-1798412.jpg

cockfight_label.png

I appreciate all opinions especially from folks that have been around The Hot Pepper scene longer than me. While as for myself I do not condone any kind of animal cruelty. 

Another guy was trying to help me come up with ideas. It's an idea of what I wanted. I can't draw.

Be careful using other people's art. You'd need to hire a copyright attorney before using this, he or she would research the public domain, contact the executive of the estate, track down the owner of the original, etc. etc. and  would be able to tell you if it was legal or be able to help you get the legal permission. Don't just think no one will know. It may bite you in the ass later.

There are plenty of great artists that can do a great label for you, and do their variation of this, as well.

As far as the "play on words" yeah, not digging that for hot sauce.

The animal cruelty aspect would be a big turn-off.

The other issue I can see if you're looking to leverage the play on words with your name is that there are many Sriracha-style sauces on the market that have roosters as the featured logo. Including both Sriracha, and Sambel Olek from Huy Fong Foods. And I think everything else they make.

While they don't have exclusive rights to the rooster image, the general public may see your usage of it as a cheap attempt to "borrow" from another highly successful hot sauce company.

Just an observation. Good luck.

This thread has totally bit me in the butt. I do not nor have I ever condoned any kind of animal cruelty. I would never purposely steal anything from anyone. A friend of mine was just trying to help me with a friend's and Familly label design. I should have double checked where he got the drawing. I apologize and ask that this thread be deleted. I want to be a giving member of this community and don't want bad press. Thank you all.

Well you asked our opinions of your new label, but you deleted that out.

We gave our opinions, nobody thinks bad of you, this is just advice. I don't think you condone animal cruelty at all, but this is the type of sauce someone might boycott, that's all. Roosters don't fight to the death in nature. If they did, no problem.

The other advice was just make sure to get permission for images. It could even be in the public domain, we have no idea, but you would need an attorney to do that research for you. If it is a more modern image or photograph you can get permission directly from the author.

Check this site for images you can use, as long as you give credit:
http://creativecommons.org

All great advice in this thread and do not take it personally. One of my good friends had a logo designed, paid a lot of money only for me to tell him the image was stolen or 95% copied. It is always better to be on the safe side than to build a brand, become huge and your main image you are known for is lost due to copyright infringement. I watched this occur in the restaurant business back in the 90's where I worked, we won and the other place lost. 

I appreciate the responses to this thread. I will be dropping the idea of any kind of label. I will just put my name on a piece of tape. Lol. I cannot pay to have a label drawn and I don't have the money to hire attorney's to check and see if a label is legit or pay an attorney because of copyright infringement.That's why I have deleted all copies of picture. I don't want any problems.

Get the sauce perfected first, then worry about graphics.

I think Matanzima (may be wrong about that one) used a graphics design forum that seemed pretty reasonable. It was ($99?), you submit your idea and suggestions, graphic artists submit their designs, you choose your favorite or have a public vote of your top 4.

Good advice. Don't put the cart before the rooster.

If you need help let us know. We're good at helping with names, slogans, labels, ingredients, etc. Use the forum to your advantage!

LDHS who posted above will tell you the forum had a big hand in his label, with listing ingredients, proofreading, layout, etc. It was mostly done but the members helped him make it perfect.

Yep - I posted (at least) 1/2 dozen revisions - the feedback here was excellent. And then I STILL had to rework them because we all (myself included) didn't notice that nowhere on the front did my labels say "hot" "med" or "mild" - OOPS! :rofl: 

And agree with all - I didn't think you endorsed animal cruelty - but many might out in the world.  

I do like the masking tape idea. :D

You can't take any of it personally - they're just opinions, and many of us have experience in this business. If there are issues, we're not doing you any favors by holding back or being sensitive to your feelings. 

We'll of course try to be kind about it, but when I posted my labels I wanted blunt brutal honesty and that's what I got. 

...especially from SL. :rofl: 

salsalady said:
Get the sauce perfected first, then worry about graphics. I think Matanzima (may be wrong about that one) used a graphics design forum that seemed pretty reasonable. It was ($99?), you submit your idea and suggestions, graphic artists submit their designs, you choose your favorite or have a public vote of your top 4.

Yes I did 

The site was 99designs

http://99designs.com/

But the logo did cost me more than that (around $350) but I was happy with the process and result

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
...especially from SL. :rofl:

Now what'd I do?!?!???  :rolleyes:   The Boss has more graphics comments than me!

:lol:

Thanks for posting the correct info, Matanzima.  The name 99designs probably made me think it was $99. 

salsalady said:
Thanks for posting the correct info, Matanzima.  The name 99designs probably made me think it was $99. 
It is $99 if you buy a ready made logo with basic changes (Company name. colors. etc.).  If the logo has not been purchased before and you wish to have exclusive rights, you pay an additional $199.  I think the site will also guarantee that all images are original.  If there is any infringement, the designer is on the hook for all costs.  There are some excellent ready made logos and I have my eye on a few of them.  Hearing about what many pay for professional services, I think this is a very good budget-friendly option.  Click Matanzima's link above and check it out... if you haven't already.  BTW... I'm no spokesperson for the site, I have just been browsing their designs for the past few weeks and I have fun with it... amazing what excites me know as I approach middle age.

TSK

Back