• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Ladybug question

Searching didn't help but maybe I used the wrong terms.

I should have my ladybugs tomorrow but I know I have read about a way to spray them (with coke maybe?) to keep them from flying away. OK, it there a "Using Ladybugs to Kill Aphids for Dummies" manual?

Do I release them on the plants then spray them with the solution? Or do I somehow gather them together, give them a bath and then spread them? I need the exact (or at least close) recipe for water/coke/soap, whatever is used.

Mike

Mike...I don't know what the dilution is but yes, spray them with coke or another heavy syrupy soda...spray them before you take them out of the continer...they usually come in a fine mesh bag or cup...if they come in a cup, just open it and spray away as they release...it is supposed to glue their wings to their bodys so they can't fly and they mate in place/lay eggs before moving on...

seems Iggy says no coke...off to google land

"If desired, you can keep ladybug adults from flying by "gluing" their wings shut, temporarily, with a sugar-water solution. Half water and half sugared pop (Coke, Pepsi, etc.), in a spray bottle, works fine. Spray it right in the bag the ladybugs come in, as soon as you open it. You'll easily coat most of them. After a week or so, the "glue" wears off."

excerpt from here...

http://www.naturescontrol.com/ladybugs.html

The sugar water is to give them insentive to stick around. Coke has some natsy ingredients and I wouldn't want them on things that were helping me ;)

If you want to feed them and not prevent them from flying, I can find you a good ladybug food recipe with brewers yeast and a few other ingredients

POTAWIE said:
If you want to feed them and not prevent them from flying, I can find you a good ladybug food recipe with brewers yeast and a few other ingredients

Yes please.

They eat something called wheast but I'd like a home recipe if you have it.

Supposedly only feeding on aphids (or not being able to fly any more?) will get them to lay eggs but this wheast stuff is supposed to help.

I can't find my original recipe but I think you mix half and half brewers yeast and honey(or molasses) then add enough water to make it sprayable.

Nice Topic!. Don't think they sell em here. As a kid we use to collect ladybugs and kept them for fun, guess I might do some collecting soon. I must say that we do not have that much infestations like aphids etc. But had a couple of them last year. Easy to handle though, but even 1 aphid is one to many. Just hate those little :hell:.

I sure hope that I wont have any problems with insect this year. Luckily we've had some heavy frost this short winter -20 degrees C and sure hope a lot of those bugs died

Anyway good luck with it.

It is done. I ordered 1500 from March Biologicals too. The handful of eggs I have from the 2 or 3 bugs that dropped by just aren't enough. I plan on making some type of enclosure for them and releasing them periodically. I HOPE they also eat chiggers which are a mite - so they should. They will find plenty of food there if they run out of aphids.

Back