• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Ladybugs

In about one week, 50 ladybugs have solved my aphid problems! I have about 150 chile plants in a bedroom growing under 6 shop lights and 10 plant and aquarium bulbs. Since last fall up till last week I have been fighting the little devils with Neem and manually squishing them. After a few days, they seem to multiply even more. I finally got fed up and ordered 3000 ladybugs from March Biological (thanks SS). I ordered so many because it was cheap, and I want to share. I only pulled out about 50 of the ladybugs and let them get to work. They started out having a big orgy and soon after began to eat. I have pulled out the big magnifying glass and cannot find a single aphid. A miracle has taken place. I just hope i can keep the rest alive long enough for the big move to the greenhouse. For anyone fighting the never ending overwintering indoor battle with aphids - get ladybugs. I thought it might be a problem with them in the house, but that is not the case at all. They mostly stay on the plants and some make it to the window to hang out.

Yeah Ladybugs are the bomb. Pity they seem to come with as many Herbies that just drive around the rims of the pots and don't do anything. The Ladybugs will solve an aphid problem pretty fast.

in the summer, i love watching ladybugs on my plants, going on a mission - seek out and destroy every aphid. they seem to do it with such passion.

so, now what are you going to feed them? don't want to get in bad with the lady bird union.

Geeme had fun with those indoors(read:some escaped). I think come summer she may get more if they got in her windowsills.

how did the aphids get into your bedroom at the first place?
don't be so sure that they are gone.. they might have just dropped onto the soil of the plants? so don't left of your labybugs out of the bedroom yet. the battle is over but the war is not over yet.

150 plants in one bed room. hmmm how did you convince your spouse to let you do that!: )) hehe

how did the aphids get into your bedroom at the first place?
don't be so sure that they are gone.. they might have just dropped onto the soil of the plants? so don't left of your labybugs out of the bedroom yet. the battle is over but the war is not over yet.

150 plants in one bed room. hmmm how did you convince your spouse to let you do that!: )) hehe

The aphids followed the plants. They know where to find chiles, just like we do. I will have these guys working all year. I know it only takes one aphid to start it all over again. We both love insects. In fact, we met in an Entomology class in college. Women think they are just so cute, and well, guys just love to see them eat those demon aphids. The way this weather has been in WA this year, it looks like the move to the greenhouse won't take place for probably another month.

The aphids followed the plants. They know where to find chiles, just like we do. I will have these guys working all year. I know it only takes one aphid to start it all over again. We both love insects. In fact, we met in an Entomology class in college. Women think they are just so cute, and well, guys just love to see them eat those demon aphids. The way this weather has been in WA this year, it looks like the move to the greenhouse won't take place for probably another month.
how does the lady bugs come? adults or eggs ? how do they survive in the packaging and during transport?

how romantic ... hehehe does she have the taste for hot peppers?
:)

how does the lady bugs come? adults or eggs ? how do they survive in the packaging and during transport?

how romantic ... hehehe does she have the taste for hot peppers?
:)

The little guys came in a paper bag (like a lunch sack) with a ball of fibrous material that they were hiding under. It was in a regular post office box two days after I ordered them. They came as adults. I keep most of them in the refrigerator and they are doing fine. A few times I have squirted a little water in the bag so they can have a drink. It will be really cool when I start seeing some of the nymphs develop. It has to be fairly soon considering how they were all carrying on like it was the end of 2012. My wife likes the New Mexico chiles, but not the super hots.

I just had some aphids. Being in Dubai, I can't just order ladybugs over the internet, so I waited a couple of days for some to make their way over on their own, but only one turned up and although was clearly enjoying herself immensely, couldn't manage on her own. So I placed her in a far corner of the garden and Malathioned the aphids into next Tuesday.

My mother is an avid gardener herself and has actually written a book on it. Her advice with regards to aphids is to control the ants as they work in tandem. She says ants hate to walk on soft powder, so she recommends putting a generous ring of baby powder or corn starch around the plants you want to protect. If the ants can't get to them, the aphids won't be a problem. I might give that a go and see how it works.

now if only the ladybugs i have in my garden get to eat those pepper maggots too i'd be a happy gardener. lol.

No doubt, CA. Around Christmas, the aphids were having a party in my basement and killing some of my plants. I ordered some bugs from March and set them free in three waves. It took about 2-3 weeks, but they eliminated my aphid problem and I made it through the winter with about 40 of 70 plants intact. I tried water sprays and neem but the natural method worked for me!

In about one week, 50 ladybugs have solved my aphid problems!

I just had some aphids. Being in Dubai, I can't just order ladybugs over the internet, so I waited a couple of days for some to make their way over on their own, but only one turned up and although was clearly enjoying herself immensely, couldn't manage on her own. So I placed her in a far corner of the garden and Malathioned the aphids into next Tuesday.

My mother is an avid gardener herself and has actually written a book on it. Her advice with regards to aphids is to control the ants as they work in tandem. She says ants hate to walk on soft powder, so she recommends putting a generous ring of baby powder or corn starch around the plants you want to protect. If the ants can't get to them, the aphids won't be a problem. I might give that a go and see how it works.

Your mother is very wise.

KILL BASTIGE ANTS!

The little guys came in a paper bag (like a lunch sack) with a ball of fibrous material that they were hiding under. It was in a regular post office box two days after I ordered them. They came as adults. I keep most of them in the refrigerator and they are doing fine. A few times I have squirted a little water in the bag so they can have a drink. It will be really cool when I start seeing some of the nymphs develop. It has to be fairly soon considering how they were all carrying on like it was the end of 2012. My wife likes the New Mexico chiles, but not the super hots.
you keep them in a refrigerator?? hmmm suspended animation ? hehe how long can you keep them like that?

Back