• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Large Orange Thai pod test

I recorded this pod review of my Large Orange Thai several weeks ago. I read somewhere that's it a Thai pepper crossed with something, but not 100% sure. It is much larger than any other Thai peppers. The heat on this one was low to medium. Flavor was sweet and fruity. It was pretty crunchy for being a couple days old. It had a typical annuum base smell, kind of like a spicer bell pepper. This was grown from last year's saved seed. The original plant was grown for the 2015 Growdown Throwdown. The seed for that plant was given to me by Waywright on thp.

https://youtu.be/3tkIx2jB0Uw

Pepperhead1989 said:
Looks like I will be growing this next year. Great review!
Thanks!
ChiliheadDan said:
What is that beast of a plant behind you?
It's a BBM in a 45 gallon Kratky setup. See http://thehotpepper.com/topic/62012-45-gallon-non-circulating-kratky-build-bbm/
Masher said:
Nice looking pepper, thanks for the review Peter...keep them coming.
Thanks!
hogleg said:
Well done Peter!
Thanks hogleg!
wayright said:
Very nice review Peter

I love those things

Kevin
Thanks. And thanks for the original seed that came from.

I normally don't care for Thai peppers. All i can taste is heat from them. I may have to try this one. Sounds like a good candidate for spicy chicken basil stirfry..

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I normally don't care for Thai peppers. All i can taste is heat from them. I may have to try this one. Sounds like a good candidate for spicy chicken basil stirfry..
This would probably be an excellent candidate for your stirfry.

Peter S said:
... I read somewhere that's it a Thai pepper crossed with something, but not 100% sure...

Hello Peter S.

The original source of this strain was from a friend of mine who brought them back from a farm market stall in Bangkok Thailand in 2009. I originally called them Large Orange Thai - Bangkok Market. I grew them in 2009, and sent Wayright seeds from that harvest. I don't think the seeds you grew out are crossed for two reasons. First, Your pods look exactly like the original pods I grew in '09. Second, if they crossed at Wayrights they would be hotter than hell because everything he grows is nuclear, lol.

By the way, in 2011 my friend e-mailed to say he now believes the real name of this pepper is Prik Luang,

Glad you grew them again. Nice pepper.

DownRiver said:

Hello Peter S.

The original source of this strain was from a friend of mine who brought them back from a farm market stall in Bangkok Thailand in 2009. I originally called them Large Orange Thai - Bangkok Market. I grew them in 2009, and sent Wayright seeds from that harvest. I don't think the seeds you grew out are crossed for two reasons. First, Your pods look exactly like the original pods I grew in '09. Second, if they crossed at Wayrights they would be hotter than hell because everything he grows is nuclear, lol.

By the way, in 2011 my friend e-mailed to say he now believes the real name of this pepper is Prik Luang,

Glad you grew them again. Nice pepper.
That is great info! Thank you very much for sharing that, and for sharing the original pepper that you brought back from Thailand :)

I got my first 2 ripe pods finally. These came from CCN but they look the same as yours.
P2hS61F.jpg

Side by side with one of the larger citos ive grown
S548OK9.jpg

Back