• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Large Scale Fermentation Gear & Mash vs Chopped

I have been wondering about the mash vs chopped veg choice especially after 2 large ferment bottles developed some mold on top just recently.  

Once smoked and blended to a mash, I add x amount of water with 4% salt of the total veg weight and stir it up and cap it with lock top jars with no gasket so they don't blow up overnight.  The mash is NOT covered by brine.  One batch went bad so I scooped out the mold as best I could and added 2% boiled brine to cover what was left of the mash.  THAT grew mold on top so I tossed it. :(

Do I need to cover my mash with brine?
Would it be better to use chopped veg and keep it submerged to prevent mold?
Is 4% of the total veg weight the correct way to calculate the amount of salt?

I now have air lock bubblers so perhaps my mold issues will be behind me, and I'm searching for someone to sway me to either 1 gallon narrow mouth carboys or 3 gallon widemouth glass bubblers such as in these photos.  

Pictured are a .7 gallon narrow mouth carboy and a 3 gallon wide mouth.  These are what are available here so I don't have PET choices and 5 gallons is more sauce than I want to get into for now.

Points I'm interested in are the air tightness of the lids for the wide mouths as I've heard of issues for brewers with them, and the obvious cleaning issues that will come with the narrow mouths.  

Anyone of you who have been there and done that care to weigh in on this?   :)

Here in Thailand we don't have a lot of choices as brewing is technically illegal here, so the gear is hard to come by.  Fortunately there are enough home brewers making it possible to make inroads against these %$#%$ laws so there is at least one supplier.  

Me, I just wanna make chili sauce! ;)

Thanks for any comments and suggestions!

1gal%20glass-400x400.jpg

glass-bubbler01_wm-400x400.jpg

I would prefer to use something like that as well. :)  

2 issues that I know of with those is they are easily broken, (people complaining of thin glass)  and with some the lids don't form an airtight seal.
<-- this guy seems to have figured out how to fix it via the manufacturers of the Big Mouth Bubbler lids which aren't the easiest thing for me to obtain from here.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/big-mouth-bubbler/products/big-mouth-bubbler-universal-lid-single-port  Reading reviews on their site people don't seem all that enthused (as the guy in the video) in the brewing community. 

while brewing may be illegal and hard to get equipment for, fermenting equipment should be very easy to get supplies for.  What about some fermenting crocks with the water moat or some of the new tubs with the lids that press down?
 this one is 2 gallons-
https://www.amazon.com/Sauerkraut-Container-Probiotic-Fermentation-Earthenware/dp/B07BMJPK4H/ref=asc_df_B07BMJPK4H/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241954557278&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12351294756593737300&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033623&hvtargid=pla-447297819265&psc=1

Pottery crock-
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/tsm-german-style-harvest-pot/3275139?skuId=44750039&&mrkgcl=609&mrkgadid=3271048069&rkg_id=0&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenelectrics_online&product_id=44750039&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o4&creative=246951530591&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4-veo-O04AIVDsJkCh03oACwEAQYBCABEgLpDfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I definitely would not go with a narrow mouth carboy.  PITA to get stuff in, out and cleaned.
good luck,
SL

PS- I have a 6 gallon plastic bubbler with the blue lid and airlock.  also the lifting harness because, well, it's heavy and I'm inherently lazy~  ;)...been pretty happy with it.

salsalady said:
while brewing may be illegal and hard to get equipment for, fermenting equipment should be very easy to get supplies for.  What about some fermenting crocks with the water moat or some of the new tubs with the lids that press down?
 this one is 2 gallons-
https://www.amazon.com/Sauerkraut-Container-Probiotic-Fermentation-Earthenware/dp/B07BMJPK4H/ref=asc_df_B07BMJPK4H/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241954557278&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12351294756593737300&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033623&hvtargid=pla-447297819265&psc=1

Pottery crock-
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/tsm-german-style-harvest-pot/3275139?skuId=44750039&&mrkgcl=609&mrkgadid=3271048069&rkg_id=0&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenelectrics_online&product_id=44750039&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o4&creative=246951530591&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4-veo-O04AIVDsJkCh03oACwEAQYBCABEgLpDfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I definitely would not go with a narrow mouth carboy.  PITA to get stuff in, out and cleaned.
good luck,
SL

PS- I have a 6 gallon plastic bubbler with the blue lid and airlock.  also the lifting harness because, well, it's heavy and I'm inherently lazy~  ;)...been pretty happy with it.

Thank you for that info salsalady!  I am lazy as well. :)  The fermenters you linked might be available here but my initial search is turning up nothing yet.

In looking at the kimchi tank and the German style fermenter, how important is it to be able to look at a chili ferment to check it's progress?  I assume the plastic containers you use are opaque?  Presently I can check for mold etc easily through the glass of my lock lid bottles, which are inadequate for fermenting in the long run as they let air in.  I'm leaning towards the widemouth at this point.  https://www.thaibrewshop.com/brewing-equipment/Fermenting

There are a few online stores that carry brew supplies here but not the range of stores you will have in the US.  The widemouth and narrow mouth carboy are available here.  The widemouth is around $55 US for the 3.5 gallon.  

Thai people do ferment things like fish (play ra, very stinky) and sausages (nam)  but I'm not sure if they make containers to do it.  We have Japanese groceries here but not Korean.  I will have to get the Thai spelling of "fermentation jars" as I'm getting nothing in my searches, although plenty of recipes. :)

Back