• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Late Grow By Newb

So the hottest pepper I've had is a habanero. Recently I decided to try to grow peppers so I bought some from Walmart. I'll show pics of those later. Two days ago was my first time planting Bhut Jolokia. Doing this for help since it's my first time. Pics coming soon!

Sorry but I'm not sure how to post pics...

MtfmusG.jpg

w38lCrb.jpg

The first picture is of some peppers I have started recently. The solo cup in the front and the bag with the napkin are my ghost chili seeds. Everything else is either a habanero, cayenne, or sweet bell peppers. The solo in the back is a habanero sprout i transplanted the other day from the seed tray. The second picture is of the soil in the solo cup. Asking opinion on if too dry, I'm not really sure of a good way to keep these moist. I come out every couple of hours and will spray them with a little warm water. 

emW5OYu.jpg

4lQQUA2.jpg

Decided to change it up a bit. Went to walmart and spent about $20 and made this awesome little grow box I found on youtube. Keeps temperature around 85. I also decided to add another ghost pepper solo cup. The one in the middle have three seeds, top right has one and was sowed about 4 days ago. Let me know what yall think and if yall have any ideas!

Finally!! Yesterday I went to check my box and over the course of the night I had my first sprout! Over last night two more started to sprout and another cup that I had a bag over to simply test different methods had also sprouted but I'm not sure when it happened.

7m6v4Ok.jpg

you can see two others about to come up in the first cup.

These are three others I have been growing just to try growing hotter peppers.

Habanero
0XsWeou.jpg

Ring-O-Fire (from walmart)
hADzwRJ.jpg

Long Thin Cayene (from walmart)
1NzP5aR.jpg

I also planted some Trinidad Moruga Scorpions yesterday so I'll post pics of those if I can get them to germinate. So far the paper towel and ziploc bag hasn't germinated anything so I'm not sure whats wrong with them.

Today I noticed my seedlings are turning a lighter shade of green so I decided to transplant into some other soil. Originally I used top soil to sow the seeds, I transplanted into Miracle Grow Potting Mix. Hope they do well..

On a side note I figured I would put up some pics of my garden. This is my first year growing anything and so far I'm pretty happy with my results.

Corn
QWLBNj4.jpg

More Corn
B99CccC.jpg

Starwberries, Sweet Potatoes, and Beans
8FP8JE9.jpg

7 types of peppers (yellow cayenne, big jim, sweet and hot banana, jalepenos, and one other)
Garlic in the middle
OaXHuse.jpg

Pickling cucumbers
zRAq0bk.jpg

Tomatoes
KFLPDJD.jpg

Squash in back and herbs in front
OGZLKaO.jpg

Jalapeno plants. One in front I experiment on and topped, only had three leaves left so there is more growth that has come in. Probably picked a total of 10 so far in 3 weeks
GbEjTrf.jpg

Jalapeno and Banana I picked today, phone is for scale
wIRu8QN.jpg

Hope yall like. More pics coming soon!!!

Well you're no newb to gardening.:)

Yeah, top soil is worthless as a growing medium. Your plants will do better in the potting soil.

As a pretty firm believer in baggy germination.. bhuts take forever to pop, sometimes several weeks. It's the worst wait :p I started a second batch of seeds because I thought something was wrong... nope, now I have 65+ pepper seedlings.

My only recommendations, keep the baggy around 80 degrees, don't keep it soaked (no pooling water, just condensation) and open it daily and check the seeds. Daily air outs have made the difference between germination and seed rot for me, last time I ignored a bag, fungi had a hay day, I ended up planting that whole bag early after rinsing in peroxide.. thankfully my most important seeds in that bag made it.

Good luck, nice garden pictures.

Slizarus said:
Well you're no newb to gardening. :)

Yeah, top soil is worthless as a growing medium. Your plants will do better in the potting soil.

As a pretty firm believer in baggy germination.. bhuts take forever to pop, sometimes several weeks. It's the worst wait :P I started a second batch of seeds because I thought something was wrong... nope, now I have 65+ pepper seedlings.

My only recommendations, keep the baggy around 80 degrees, don't keep it soaked (no pooling water, just condensation) and open it daily and check the seeds. Daily air outs have made the difference between germination and seed rot for me, last time I ignored a bag, fungi had a hay day, I ended up planting that whole bag early after rinsing in peroxide.. thankfully my most important seeds in that bag made it.

Good luck, nice garden pictures.

I used a baggy on some cayenne, went to the beach for a week and when I got back they had all "popped." So far none of the Bhuts in the bag have done anything but the ones I planted in topsoil have already sprouted in about 10 days.

And thanks a lot for the tips!

The pepper in the last pic that you say is a Banana Pepper looks just like a pepper I have growing .  It said it was a Jalapeno on the package.  Hmmmm...I think someone at the packaging plant either screwed up or was having fun at someone's expense.   :shocked:   

Good looking garden!!!

Congrats on having the bhuts pop! Red bhuts are the only ones I haven't had germ yet, had peach, white, and carbon do well. Maybe soil is the trick.

Hehe, Cayenne were my first to pop, practically as eager as tomato seedlings

LowDrag said:
The pepper in the last pic that you say is a Banana Pepper looks just like a pepper I have growing .  It said it was a Jalapeno on the package.  Hmmmm...I think someone at the packaging plant either screwed up or was having fun at someone's expense.   :shocked:   

Good looking garden!!!
Haha what!?! Yea they must have had some mix up, I don't see how anyone could get those two confused.

Slizarus said:
Congrats on having the bhuts pop! Red bhuts are the only ones I haven't had germ yet, had peach, white, and carbon do well. Maybe soil is the trick.

Hehe, Cayenne were my first to pop, practically as eager as tomato seedlings
Lets just say I hope they are Bhuts. I bought them on amazon and I have heard all the bad things about buying seeds on there so fingers crossed!

I understand the fear, I bought from dealers on ebay unknown on this forum, but all you can do is wait.

Honestly, if they're taking a while, it's likely they're bhuts :p they say the hotter the pepper, the longer it takes to germ. So you likely have some hot peppers atleast!

Yellowing off is nitrogen deficiency; you were right in that they needed to move to potting soil.

Now, be patient. Don't overwater. Give them plenty of light. And ... be patient.

Keep in mind that there is about zero possibility of getting Chinense species in to the ground and producing, that were sprouted in July.

Get ready for a long haul, take care of them for the next 9 months indoors and put them in the dirt next spring.  (if they do go out this year, which is fine, just put them out in pots so you can bring them back in; they probably won't hit maturity before temps drop too low.)

You may get some late fall / early winter heat if things work out well.

Also don't let my remarks discourage you in ANY way. I've got some 3 year old plants still going strong (STRONG!) that I've been overwintering each year.

With perennials it doesn't really matter WHEN you start them, if you plan on caring for them year round. :)

TrentL said:
Yellowing off is nitrogen deficiency; you were right in that they needed to move to potting soil.

Now, be patient. Don't overwater. Give them plenty of light. And ... be patient.

Keep in mind that there is about zero possibility of getting Chinense species in to the ground and producing, that were sprouted in July.

Get ready for a long haul, take care of them for the next 9 months indoors and put them in the dirt next spring.  (if they do go out this year, which is fine, just put them out in pots so you can bring them back in; they probably won't hit maturity before temps drop too low.)

You may get some late fall / early winter heat if things work out well.

Also don't let my remarks discourage you in ANY way. I've got some 3 year old plants still going strong (STRONG!) that I've been overwintering each year.

With perennials it doesn't really matter WHEN you start them, if you plan on caring for them year round. :)

Yea I realized I should have picked a different title for my glog. This is meant to be an experiment type deal because I am new at growing peppers and want to be able to produce a good crop next year without many problems. I'm in college and don't have much to do over summer so I thought why not have some fun. I figured it would be good practice because I do plan on opening my own nursery after I graduate college. I had no intention of putting them in the ground this late, just seeing if I can grow them and what it would take. I plan on keeping a couple Bhuts and Trinidads over winter and possibly a couple years. Haha but we will see how that goes! It gets very cold up here in the mountains and our growing season is short and its tough to gt good heat in our house.

Definitely! Keep 'em as housepets. They don't pee on the carpet or tear up the furniture like my pups do.

Some dogs eat shoes and slippers.

Wolfhounds eat couches.

weXSrKIh.jpg

(Largest dog breed... he was 5 months old at the time that was taken)

Holy crap TrentL! I would lose my mind if I came home to that. We have two daschunds and they just piss and crap everywhere and we can't get them to stop.

Sawyer said:
Nice looking garden.
Thanks!

Back