• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Late season leaf curl

Have eradicated aphids and white flies, applied micro-nutrients, plant food, and tried not to over-water.  Only the plants in this side of the yard (more decorative pots) are seeing new leaf curl.  Still have flowers, and new growth, and even some lady bugs.  Not sure if running a night-time sprinkler may be messing with them.

I just fed them, so don't want to over-feed and fry them.  Re-treat with neem or soap may work.  I am thinking the sprinkler system pelts them overnight, giving leaf spots classic of past sins.

Any other suggestions from the board?

Thx.

Attachments

• IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2120.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 93
I can't see much in your picture, but your plant looks to be lacking substantive growth on the terminal branches.  This would be symptomatic of a broad mite infestation.  Broad mites are a big problem, and when you have them bad, they require almost weekly treatment to get rid of them.
Neem is what I use for continued and prolonged treatment.  You can purchase miticides, but be careful with what you put down on food, and always be even more careful about what you mix with whatever treatment that you last used.

Chorizo857_62J said:
Thanks.  I'm going to hit them with a DawnTM soap solution I used previously, then give them a rinse.  Like bathing the dog.

Oh please don't do that...  We don't ever use detergents on plants. That's asking for trouble.

It's a diluted solution, which stays only for a few minutes.  But with lack of visible pests, I am considering other options.  I have Neem also, so maybe try that first.

Chorizo857_62J said:
It's a diluted solution, which stays only for a few minutes.  But with lack of visible pests, I am considering other options.  I have Neem also, so maybe try that first.

If you don't have a soap to emulsify the Neem, use very warm water, and shake it every 10-15 seconds.

Detergent does its damage instantly.  It is meant to cut grease on contact.  This late in the season, especially, I'd be very careful.  Slow growth means slow recovery and susceptibility to all manner of ill. (fungal would be a big concern right now)

solid7 said:
I can't see much in your picture, but your plant looks to be lacking substantive growth on the terminal branches.  This would be symptomatic of a broad mite infestation.  Broad mites are a big problem, and when you have them bad, they require almost weekly treatment to get rid of them.
Neem is what I use for continued and prolonged treatment.  You can purchase miticides, but be careful with what you put down on food, and always be even more careful about what you mix with whatever treatment that you last used.
solid what is a terminal branch?

sirex said:
solid what is a terminal branch?

Where the big branches end in little branches.  The tips of any branch is terminal.

What I was trying to say, was that on the ends of the branches, where there should be leaves, there are none.

YOu can also get undersized leaves and stunted growth if the media is compacted, but I normally expect to see sickly looking leaves that are falling off underneath the runt-y ones.

Mine are all in pots, with relatively new (within on year) potting soil, and not very compact.  It will soon be time to consider overwintering as well. I think we will have at least 2 more months.

Mine looked very same and I followed Solid7's same advice. Now plants are super happy. And don't use detergents. You will damage the plants ;)

Back