• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Lazy plants

I moved my indoor starts, at least 30% of them outdoors next to the house to start hardening them off last week. Wind, rain and indirect light have more or less left them in a compromised state. Some have no problem standing in the wind while others have leaned over due to canopy weight. Should I top these plants at a point that they can support the remaining growth thereby allowing the plant time to rebuild it strength and branch.

I kinda know or think I know the correct answer but sometimes its good to get concurrence.

I have a lemon drop that had the same problem this year. I put a stake next to it and attached the plant to it using a tomato tie that I formed into a ~1.5" ring. This gave the plant some protection against strong winds, but at the same time it allowed the stem to move quite a bit. All that movement is like putting a fan on seedlings - it makes the plant strengthen its stem and root system.
     So far my lemon drop is looking really good and I'm planning on taking the stake out any day now.

Agree with all the above.

Keep in mind that hardening off is not just to protect them from too much sun all at once, but also too much wind all at once. My hardening off process includes a few weeks of hauling them in and out of doors for these reasons. It's kind of a PITA, but the plants like it.

I am kinda in a rush now as my growing season doesn't last forever and many of the plants in question are super hots. As I said, I think I know the correct answer (I was prepared to top the plants and let the new growth develop in direct sunlight while the main stem got some backbone) ghheeet, wrong answer. I decided to stake em up instead. 

That is way I posted this, THX

I know everyone hardens off differently... I usually take 5sh days of taking them in/out of my Florida room and slowly increasing sun over the 5 days... Out-of all my 9 plants this year one of them is being lazy like yours, it's my Carolina reaper .. Hope it takes off soon

They were all fine in the grow room. I have a oscillating fans on then all day, They just decided to rest when I brought them outside. Got a little spindly.

Now I have to address the remaining plants in the grow room

Back