• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Leaf Curl... Bugs? Mites? Nutrients? Any guesses?

Hi everyone

I have not come across this malady before..... but this is only my third year of growing so I'm no expert.  It's not aphids, I know that.  It is affecting only these 4 plants of the 30 I have.  They are all different pepper species.  Any guesses?

Thanks

1zdpxtj.jpg

2j42amh.jpg

Yeah that looks like broad mites to me. Spinosad will probably kill them, Azamax will definitely kill them. 

Also keep them away from your other plants to prevent spreading.

you should definatly check for mites and keep those outside untill you do.

imo those plants look starved for calcium maby phosphate and probably nitrogen... its possible the clawing is a result of that, but i doubt it, unless some real acute deficiency cropped up between the newest growth and the last set of non deformed leaves. did you flush them real hard or transplant them into a soil without any nutrients recently?

that clawing down of the leaf margins is truely the halmark of mites... they like to fuck with the newest growth since its tender and easy to attack. calcium effects the midrib the most causing distortion from the inside area of the leaf outwards towards the margins. phosphate can cause that very dark coloration of your leaves so look at that too.

spiro is not approved for use other than ornamentals... unless something has changed. use abamectin or what ever else. is azamax even used on mites?

OK! Thanks everyone.  I'm going to nuke 'em with Azamax and see what happens..... the product mentions "kills mites" so that's what I will do.  I have isolated them already.

I don't think it's calcium or magnesium because I water every other time with cal-mag and none of my other plants are affected.  I know there's enough nitrogen, too. 

Let's see what happens!  

Back