• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf Curl U

Hey all,

No idea why this is happening. It's most pronounced on my MoA bonnets since they're crinkly by nature.

I'm getting some pretty drastic leaf curl on most of my plants. My theory is that the fan on them is too strong and is evaporating water from the leaves really fast, causing them to curl in order to minimize transipration surface area.

Any ideas?

Both peppers are the MoAs since it's most drastic on them.
iS99Ut4ETJIyH.jpg

ij5uBIaE7ydKu.jpg

That looks more like a nutrient deficiency - maybe Mg? I've never heard of pepper plants curling up their leaves to limit transpiration.

dash 2 said:
     That looks more like a nutrient deficiency - maybe Mg? I've never heard of pepper plants curling up their leaves to limit transpiration.
Perhaps, I didn't think about Mg. Thanks. I gave them CalMag+ a week ago, hey're up for a full dose today so I suppose we'll see. Maybe I'll give them an extra mL/gal

Kyox89 said:
Lights too strong perhaps?
Doubt it. It's a 400W HPS. Strong, but weaker than the sun. It's about 2' from the tops of the plants so heat isn't really an issue either.

What's the soil mix/nute regime? Seems a little early for a deficiency...?

I've heard but not seen leaf curl from too much/too strong of a fan in other plants, if your're in a tent or a closed area, pointing it at the wall will keep circulation without as much force.

miguelovic said:
What's the soil mix/nute regime? Seems a little early for a deficiency...?

I've heard but not seen leaf curl from too much/too strong of a fan in other plants, if your're in a tent or a closed area, pointing it at the wall will keep circulation without as much force.
Growing in a dorm closet, I'll aim the fan at the wall. Thanks.

And I'm using 1:1:1 potting soil:sphagnum peat:perlite with FoxFarms liquid ferts and CalMag+ for ferts. I agree, it sounds a little early for deficiency but the soil pH is pretty good as far as I know. We'll see. I'm adding more Mg to their routine tonight.

LawrenceJ2007 said:
Try a foliar spray, that will get into the quicker for better results.
I foliar fed with MgSO4 at 1tbsp/gal two days ago. Even sprayed with water a day later to let them absorb the leftover crystals. Guess it didn't work!

Ninja edit: And AFAIK, plants have a tough time absorbing a lot of volume through leaves. Yeah, it's faster but it's a little less efficient in terms of volume.

I had MOA's do this early on. I raised my lights and they bounced back (t5s), I was over-watering a bit also. Took a few days to see results. Strong-ish oscillating fan remained a constant.

I'd say too much light seedling and clones should only need a 150-250W max...put a thermometer on a cup and come back in 30 mins...whats the temp?

Definitely looks like a deficiency, but seems a little early for that, no? Is your soil holding moisture very well? pH ok?

Not really sure what to tell you, but here's my plant that had a calcium problem when I first started. Looks similar

CUD3ETcl.jpg

pH good, soil is absorbant. I added Mg and they're looking better. That's curious that your plant had a Ca problem. Usually that involves leaves curling to one side and knotting up on themselves.  Weird.

Cupping upward is often a sign of a calcium problem. Either not enough or a lockout. It's a fairly slow recovery process once they get to this stage. Add the calmag+ for a few waterings and it should come around. Adding Mg isn't a bad idea either given that the two work together. I've seen the ratio's between the two range anywhere from 4:1 to 2:1 calcium to magnesium.

Neil

I think we're all good, people! CalMag+ and Epsom seems to have resolved the problem. The new growth is now darker green and crinkly but not curling. Thanks all!

Back