• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leaf diagnosis stat!

Can the pepper experts give a diagnosis? What am i doing wrong? And how i can fix the issue?

Potted Bhut jolokia - very strange curls and damage

P1010503.jpg

Potted Brain strain - same as above

P1010504.jpg

Raised bed 7pod

P1010506.jpg

Raised bed bhut - very curled up leaf on top

P1010509.jpg

The leaves should be flat between the veins, Pucker on the leaves; calcium deficiency, a teaspoon fulls of bone-meal per plant and water in repeat every 2 to4 weeks. Extremely important, and overlooked by many growers.

Leaf deformations and burnt edges fransb69 got it right!

Just a thought but if that is concrete reinforcement wire 6 or 8 inches on center those plants may be a little close together. Like a rain forest they will look very impressive from the top but the lack of internal light will give way to poor undergrowth and ultimately reduced pod production.

Wishing you the best! Spicy Chicken

The leaves should be flat between the veins, Pucker on the leaves; calcium deficiency, a few spoon tea of bone-meal per plant and water in repeat every 2 to4 weeks. Extremely important, and overlooked by many growers.

Leaf deformations and burnt edges fransb69 got it right!

Just a thought but if that is concrete reinforcement wire 6 or 8 inches on center those plants may be a little close together. Like a rain forest they will look very impressive from the top but the lack of internal light will give way to poor undergrowth and ultimately reduced pod production.

Wishing you the best! Spicy Chicken

thanks, Can i use calmag? if not there is a houston garden center close by and i can get hi-yield brand bonemeal

it is just rope, not wire. it helped me with the placing the plants. each square is 1 foot. so the plants are 12 inches away from each other.

Instead of bonemeal for a calcium fertilizer can you use calcium nitrate? http://www.amazon.com/Atlantis-Calcium-Nitrate-5-lbs/dp/B0013LQJKU

thanks, Can i use calmag? Yes you can, that of coarse as you know also has magnesium and Iron.

it is just rope, not wire. it helped me with the placing the plants. each square is 1 foot. so the plants are 12 inches away from each other. OK much better, I plant 24 OC and still find issues but will be fine your plants will adapt. Next year you will have a bigger garden :) most are never satisfied with; just what they planted last year.:woohoo: :lol:

PepperJam... do yourself a favor and don`t add anything right now. You flushed the soil to try and get rid of the excess

nutes. So let things settle down a bit. No need to start another go round with NUTE SOUP :)

Edit; What is the potting mix in the pots? Does it has nutes in it already?

PepperJam... do yourself a favor and don`t add anything right now. You flushed the soil to try and get rid of the excess

nutes. So let things settle down a bit. No need to start another go round with NUTE SOUP :)

Edit; What is the potting mix in the pots? Does it has nutes in it already?

I will leave nutes alone for now :D The mix is mel's mix, it consists of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 various composts (mushroom, cow, chicken, leaf mold, lady bug amendement, etc), and 1/3 vermiculite. I ph adjusted the soil to around 6.2 or so using aluminum sulfate.

thanks, Can i use calmag? if not there is a houston garden center close by and i can get hi-yield brand bonemeal

Yeah, I use Calmag and it works very well.

Bhuts seem to be really sensitive to fertilizer imo. I've had fert burn on them with barely any fertilizer at all, and they often show symptoms of fert burn when other plants receiving the exact same thing look fine.

Yeah, I use Calmag and it works very well.

Bhuts seem to be really sensitive to fertilizer imo. I've had fert burn on them with barely any fertilizer at all, and they often show symptoms of fert burn when other plants receiving the exact same thing look fine.

What concentration should i use? Full, half, or quarter strength? And how often should i do it? Are there any side affects of using too much cal-mag?

thanks,

I would do what Alph said..let things chill for a bit and just water as needed. When you do feed again, I would give some calcium. I use Calmag. They look really healthy just a bit over fertilized and in need of calcium

I haven't had an side affect from calmag like I have with some other nuits. I agree the bhuts seem to be a little more tender to fertilizer than other plants do.

The soil in the pots looks moist to me. That was before you flushed them, correct?

If you have been adding cal/mag to your mix then it very well may be in the soil, but not bioavailable due to overwatering :eek:

The soil in the pots looks moist to me. That was before you flushed them, correct?

If you have been adding cal/mag to your mix then it very well may be in the soil, but not bioavailable due to overwatering :eek:

correct, that was before i flushed them. I'll add cal mag after a few days. I have a drip system, which drips for 3 mins everyday, i'm wondering if i should change it to every other day or every two days.

The great thing about his soil is drainage, it doesn't get water logged even if i over water. But if it is good to let the soil dry up, then maybe i should change the watering schedule.

correct, that was before i flushed them. I'll add cal mag after a few days. I have a drip system, which drips for 3 mins everyday, i'm wondering if i should change it to every other day or every two days.

The great thing about his soil is drainage, it doesn't get water logged even if i over water. But if it is good to let the soil dry up, then maybe i should change the watering schedule.

Others with experience in drip systems can answer that better than me.

Yes it is good to let a pepper just start to wilt before watering IME.

What concentration should i use? Full, half, or quarter strength? And how often should i do it? Are there any side affects of using too much cal-mag?

thanks,

I would just follow the directions on the bottle, or maybe start at half strength and see what happens. I've never noticed any ill effects from too much like I have with ferts. There is a little nitrogen in it but not much, and no P or K. I don't think there is too much danger of going overboard if you follow the directions and don't get too crazy with it. I just mix about a cap full into 5L of water (I eyeball it) when I think my plants need it. Not very scientific but it works for me.

Back