• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leaf issue on new growth

I noticed earlier this month that I had some thrips in the flowers earlier this month and started spraying with a mixture of neem oil, soap, and water. New growth on some of the plants, has looked weird. Is it possible that the bad new growth is due to the spray, the insects, or something else? Not all pepper plants are affected, but the tomatoes are affected as well. There are some pictures below. 

Thanks in advance

yeah, I have seen some other images on this forum that looked similar, I didn't spray any herbicide recently. What is the best way to deal with it if it turns out to be herbicide? Cut off the bad growth? Interesting that it didn't affect all the plants or other plants nearby. 

Dash is right, it looks like herbicide damage, as the recent damage I had looks like yours. And it only needs to be applies somewhere kinda sorta near your plants, since 2,4-D aerosolizes easily and a slight breeze can bring it your way, which is probably what happened in my case.

Easiest fix is to cut off the affected leaves and allow new growth to come out. Repeat it until the new leaves come out properly shaped.

That's the thing about this type of herbicide. It's really volatile - which means it vaporizes off of the plants it was sprayed on and drifts in the wind for looooong distances. And it's very potent, so it takes very little of it to affect non-target plants. 
     I noticed this year that some of my plants weren't affected. I have a hunch that the plants that are growing the fastest are the hardest hit.
     The way to get rid of it is, as you said, to pinch off the weird looking shoots. This may take several tries, though. Keep pinching until the growth starts looking normal. This may take a few weeks, but keep up on it and your plants should be fine. Good luck!

Sigh....I deal with this every year, I rent a townhouse and the property owners have the surrounding lawn sprayed every year! As others said, just pinch the wierd looking stuff off. Some plants seem to grow out of it quickly without pinching, but others just get messed up bad! Tomatoes really have a hard time. All you need is a neighbor spray their yard!

Back