• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf problem?

This is my first year starting from seeds and so far everything has been going well.  Recently I noticed a few leaves on various plants seem to be suffering from the same condition of spots/discoloration on the leaves, all of which eventually fall off.  Any idea what this is and how I can correct it?  All plants are under a 250w MH light and so far none have been given ferts of any kind.  Sections of the leaves fade to a yellowish color and develop these brownish, almost dry-looking spots.  At first I thought it was "sunburn" from water droplets being left on the leaves after watering but I've been careful about that in order to possibly eliminate it as a suspect.
10258088_10152303678414099_7168147748128707981_n.jpg

Are you growing in soil?  I have seen this problem in hydroponics when the pH is off... still could be a pH problem in the soil.

If you are growing in soil, what specifically?  Something from the hardware store or the backyard?

casweet8 said:
Are you growing in soil?  I have seen this problem in hydroponics when the pH is off... still could be a pH problem in the soil.

If you are growing in soil, what specifically?  Something from the hardware store or the backyard?
The seeds were started in MG Seed Starting Mix and I added some Vermiculite in (roughly a 1:4 ratio).  When I moved them out of the seed trays and into their current containers some most of them went into a similar mix since I didn't have any potting soil available at the time.  A few that were potted up later on were moved into straight MG potting mix.  Could it possibly be a Nitrogen deficiency?  Several other plants are showing similar signs and larger leaves are dropping like flies.  New growth is forming but for now the leaves are much smaller than the first sets of true leaves which are being affected.  When they get potted up a final time I will begin a semi regular fert schedule but I'm thinking for now it may help to give them a pinch of ferts just to see if that helps?

How long have they been in the current pot, and are the symptoms spread out over both potting mixes or isolated to the seed starting mix?

I have no experience with that soil or how long it "lasts", but MH will increase uptake and I can't imagine the seed mix is very hot. A picture of the whole plant would be handy.

miguelovic said:
How long have they been in the current pot, and are the symptoms spread out over both potting mixes or isolated to the seed starting mix?

I have no experience with that soil or how long it "lasts", but MH will increase uptake and I can't imagine the seed mix is very hot. A picture of the whole plant would be handy.
They have been in their current containers for 3-4 weeks.  From what I can tell it appears to be isolated to just the MG seed starting mix.  I'll try to get some pictures of whole plants up before the weekend is over.  I had no idea MH will increase uptake, interesting.

Nutrients may not be available due to them not being present or due to them being locked out as a result of a pH imbalance.  If they don;t respond to a little bit of food don't keep throwing it at them.

If it seems to be related to just one of your potting mixes I would just transplant and avoid that one in the future.

casweet8 said:
Nutrients may not be available due to them not being present or due to them being locked out as a result of a pH imbalance.  If they don;t respond to a little bit of food don't keep throwing it at them.

If it seems to be related to just one of your potting mixes I would just transplant and avoid that one in the future.
That makes sense too, I gave them a small dose of fish emulsion to see if that helps at all.  If it is indeed a pH problem is there anything else I could do to balance it out instead of just transplanting to a new mix?

sreinhard88 said:
They have been in their current containers for 3-4 weeks.  From what I can tell it appears to be isolated to just the MG seed starting mix.  I'll try to get some pictures of whole plants up before the weekend is over.  I had no idea MH will increase uptake, interesting.

I would think a seedling mix would run out of steam around then, but like casweet said, there may be other issues.

MH increases uptake comparatively versus other lighting sources, such as CFL/LED. More light, more nutrient cycling, to a point.

Back