• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

health Leaf Spot and Decay on Ahi Dulce

I have several new Ahi Dulce plants from seed, about 4 months old. They recently developed a brown leaf spot that decays within days. Have tried clipping, but it is persistent. Newer leaves are still intact for the most part. My soil is stock Miracle Grow Potting Soil. Only a few other varieties have had some of this, but much less severe, and those plants are much more along. I have tried Daconil for fungus, and a standard Ortho garden spray. Do not see any visible mites or other pests. Any advice?
T
IMG_1288.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg
IMG_1288.jpg IMG_1289.jpg hanks.

That's a bummer. Leaf spots are difficult to ID visually. If its bacterial, my understanding is it becomes systemic and can't really be cured, though you can reduce or perhaps eliminate the appearance through good husbandry and other practices. It can survive on the seeds and appear later, so it may have arrived that way. Certain varieties are more susceptible than others, but the big deal is it spreads very easily, including on clippers and through the soil. When I've had something like this I've isolated, kept all utensils separate, and bleached the containers and not reused the soil after I got rid of the plants. I don't know that it is BLS, but I'd treat it as such until proved different in protection of everything else.

Last edited:
Step 1: Quarantine them and use sanitary practices as Canedog says above.
Step 2: Tell us about your fertilization and watering scheme so far.
Step 3: Check the roots. How do the roots look? Nice and strong or small and weak?

I tend to destroy plants that look this bad, but I'm also not an expert on diseases and cannot differentiate what is terminal and what the plant can outgrow/survive with proper care. I will say that if this is something that spreads readily, it could potentially infect your whole collection and eventually get into your soil (not sure if you are planting any of these in-ground at some point). These are things that you should consider going forward. If it were me, I would definitely not plant them in ground, even if they appear to have fully recovered.

I have tried Daconil for fungus, and a standard Ortho garden spray.
The leaves look yellowish with necrosis of the leaves, you did try a fungicide & pesticide.
Many fungal problems have round areas on the leaves this looks like a very unhealthy plant.

What did the plants look like before this hit?

I applied a copper fungicide after isolating them and removing infected leaves. Bacterial leaf spot best fits the description. Fed them and let them have a few sunny days with no further watering, and they seem to be doing better. I will probably water them tonight (using a tray from the bottom), and re-treat as well. They looked great while in smaller pots before transplanting. We also had a wet streak of weather. I have some of the same generation at work, and they are kicking it.

Thanks!

Back