• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leaf Spot ID

Several of my in-ground peppers have developed leaf spots on the underside of their leaves. These particular peppers more or less fend for themselves outdoors in the raised bed with the other vegetables. They receive full sun about 9 hours a day and I do not supplement them any fertilizer treatments. Au naturel. I check everyday and (in the case of last months cutworm hunt) night for pests and will intervene regularly to stamp out any signs of insect "baddies". This time, I can find no indication of what is creating these brown spots. My initial guess is that it is a bacterial thing. In the picture you can see that the leaf started to curl. This was the only leaf, so far, which has done that. The others still look relatively fine.

No clue what it is, but I'm betting it's a fungus of some sort. Pitcher plant has the same thing, so I don't think it's nutes.

Bacterial Leaf Spot. You can search this forum for various treatments, but in my experience BLS is difficult to control and either kills the plant or resolves on its own when environmental conditions change to be less favorable for the pathogen. If you only have a few affected leaves, pinch them off and throw away. Spray the plant with dilute hydrogen peroxide and try to keep the humidity low. Healthy plants will naturally resist BLS so there is likely something else stressing your plants to make them weak and susceptible to infection. My bet is on overwatering since it looks like there is a bit of edema on the leaf veins. In-ground plants can be a challenge since you can't do anything about the rain.

cruzzfish said:
No clue what it is, but I'm betting it's a fungus of some sort. Pitcher plant has the same thing, so I don't think it's nutes.

Has it caused any serious ill effects on your pitchers? Or does it appear to be primarily cosmetic?

El Jefe said:

Has it caused any serious ill effects on your pitchers? Or does it appear to be primarily cosmetic?
A few brown spots on the leaves, and two white depressed areas with brown rims. So far it doesn't look that bad, but it only started a week or so ago. The plant is growing more slowly, but that could be from a ton of other reasons. On the pepper here, it looks a lot worse and so i'd look into treating it. I saw a thread about this a while ago, so I'll have to look around.

I have a few Reaper plants... and the leaves are getting curly and yellow.  I will posts pics soon but my initial thought is overwatering.  It dropped all its flowers and a bung of leaves all of a sudden. 

Emald001 said:
I have a few Reaper plants... and the leaves are getting curly and yellow.  I will posts pics soon but my initial thought is overwatering.  It dropped all its flowers and a bung of leaves all of a sudden. 
Most likely cause is overwatering. Chiles prefer things a tad on the dry side - moist but not wet. 

PepperWhisperer said:
Bacterial Leaf Spot. You can search this forum for various treatments, but in my experience BLS is difficult to control and either kills the plant or resolves on its own when environmental conditions change to be less favorable for the pathogen. If you only have a few affected leaves, pinch them off and throw away. Spray the plant with dilute hydrogen peroxide and try to keep the humidity low. Healthy plants will naturally resist BLS so there is likely something else stressing your plants to make them weak and susceptible to infection. My bet is on overwatering since it looks like there is a bit of edema on the leaf veins. In-ground plants can be a challenge since you can't do anything about the rain.
The BLS I've seen is less white then that, so maybe I have something else. 
If anyone wants to solve the rain, leave an umbrella outside. I've done it before.

Back