• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leafminer control

DatilDaddy

Banned
I have read everywhere on the web that they cause no real damage to the plant. People have told me to pinch off the affected leaves. If there is no harm in the long run, and I usually see the trail by the time they are gone anyway, what is the best action to take? Pinch 'em, or leave 'em?

They may not cause real damage if it's one here and there, but they do affect the leaf's ability to perform photosynthesis from my understanding, and if enough leaves are affected it could kill the plant.

I'm no expert, but have been reading up a bit on these, as I'm seeing quite a few signs of them at the moment on both the tomatoes and peppers. I've read that you can gently squeeze the "trail" and kill the lil beastie inside, but honestly, unless I can hear its scream of agony as it is crushed to oblivion, I don't trust it.

I sprayed with a mix that contains BT and will be alternating with one that has Spinosad on alternating weeks, just to make sure.

A note: When I only saw a leaf here and there affected, I would pluck the leaf and squish it up. Unfortunately though, I've gotten more affected and also have a caterpiller issue, so the spray was the most logical couorse to follow. If you only have a few, you can try plucking and crushing...

Ive been having big problems with them they're in my peppers. And tomatoes. I pinch and remove leaves. Jump onto the next leaf. :(.

I guess I should just be happy they are about the only real pest I've had so far.

ive been lucky to not get them in my peppers, but my citrus is loaded up with them.. they are very tough to get rid of.. matter of fact, the only way i was able to eradicate them was with a systemic pestacide.. and of course no fruit was edible after that..

good luck with it..

Back