• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Learned something for next year! Cayennes!

HotPeppas

Banned
4 cayennes will not do. Im thinking 10+

Nothing beats a cayenne im sorry if you think otherwise. The aroma of fresh grounded up dehydrated cayennes is the best pepper smell hands down. Not to much there packing heat and taste amazing.

Hmm maybe 15 ;) ill never know

If you have not tried Thai peppers you are missing out. I use them over Cayenne for every reason you listed except they are much hotter and cannot be store bought by the pound or in powders. Order some of my Tri-Thai and you will be converted. :)

I dont like hot hot stuff. On occasion i do but not everyday use. Send me a sample if i like it ill buy some ;-) i been wanting to try thai peppers for awhile now

im with you on not being so big on the hot stuff. im too Irish i guess.
problem is the chinenses/frutences/bact. are the only plants that survive the summers here in houston.

If you have not tried Thai peppers you are missing out. I use them over Cayenne for every reason you listed except they are much hotter and cannot be store bought by the pound or in powders. Order some of my Tri-Thai and you will be converted. :)
They are not super hots by any means, range from mild to hot and on my scale of 10 from 2 - 6.

I haven't tried the Thai peppers yet, but they do sell them at the supermarket here so someday they will be on my pizza. According to some internet resources, they are about twice as hot as Cayenne and maybe 1/2 to 1/3 as hot as a habanero. They should do nicely.

Remember, as you continue to eat hot peppers you tolerance increases. In my case, cayenne is spicy, but not really very hot.

I think im a person sensitive to capsaicin. A serrano will have me mouth burning. Not extreme but i feel so more than others it seems

I think im a person sensitive to capsaicin. A serrano will have me mouth burning. Not extreme but i feel so more than others it seems

You need to buy some heat tolerance, the more you eat the less you feel :D
Btw i agree with you, cayennes are a must in every kitchen for flavor and [background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]versatility![/background]
[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]This year Nepali really pleased me, high-end heat for a cayenne type (it seems a frutescens cross to me).[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Cya[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Datil[/background]

I've been growing "giant thai's" for the last 3-4 years and I've liked them enough to keep including them in the tiny space allocated for peppers ;-).
The plant itself has always "looked" nice. Mine had relatively small darkish green leaves, squat and bushy looking. The pods themselves were about the size of the tip (last bone) of my pinkie. Maybe an inch and a quarter long & maybe 1/2" thick at the base ending in a blunt tip. Lot's of pods & they dry just as easily/nicely as my cayennes. The red and green look nice and you find yourself walking by and popping them down the hatch just 'cause they're so damned good!
Of course, I also always grow cayenne's & kung pao's right alongside. I know it sounds strange but while I'll use alot of cayenne in my cooking, i don't often get the urge to snack on them like I would with the thai's. We have one of those cabana tent doohickeys on our back patio, right alongside the garden... during the summer when we're hanging out (trying to guess when the keg is going to blow) back their it's fairly common to just reach over - grab one & start munching away... no doubt they burn BUT I had several of my jalapenos burn just as badly w/out the taste of the thai. Mine have always been on the citrusy side in flavor. Pretty good imho.

Back