• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leaves curling under in DWC system

Hey guys!

This is my first post so go easy on me. I've been growing hot peppers for about 5 months now and I've just started my first dwc system. As I don't have any gear to check the ec and ph, I went easy on the nutes. Problem is, the leaves on the plant are curling under on my Giant Jalapeno. The growth rate is awesome compared to the plants in soil, but the plant feels soft and weak. I'm keeping the water level about 3 inches below the net pot but the aliflor is constantly wet due to the water splashing. Could I be drenching the plant which is planted in a root riot cube? So far, only 1 root has reached the water below but more are coming. Also, the temp is about 21-25C.

I'm attaching a photo for you guys.

Thanks!

2a0dykg.jpg

What size net pot? If the water is 3 inches below it, I doubt it would be a problem of too much water. Have you been top-watering it at all (which might be necessary until the roots get long enough to reach the water source)? It looks pretty saggy so maybe not enough water? (disclaimer: I'm no expert, but I am also doing some first-time DWC this year)

What kind of nutrients are you feeding it?

What size net pot? If the water is 3 inches below it, I doubt it would be a problem of too much water. Have you been top-watering it at all (which might be necessary until the roots get long enough to reach the water source)? It looks pretty saggy so maybe not enough water? (disclaimer: I'm no expert, but I am also doing some first-time DWC this year)

What kind of nutrients are you feeding it?
The net pot is 3,75". I have been top-watering it, yes, but not since the first root reached the water, but I tell you, the root riot cube is absolutely soaked. Every time I lift the pot, water is pouring down from the aliflor, and I could also see the cube itself and it was VERY moist.

I am using a nute named "Chili Focus".
http://3ch.co.uk/files/CHILLI%20FOCUS%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

I have no experience with those nutrients but at minimum we need a PH reading. Can you get some test strips or PH test solution? If your PH is too high, then your plant wont be absorbing the nutrients properly. Leaf curl is also a sign of calcium deficiency so maybe some cal mag would help. Also is your solution bubbling well? And how does the root look? Nice and white and healthy or dull and brown and sickly?

I have no experience with those nutrients but at minimum we need a PH reading. Can you get some test strips or PH test solution? If your PH is too high, then your plant wont be absorbing the nutrients properly. Leaf curl is also a sign of calcium deficiency so maybe some cal mag would help. Also is your solution bubbling well? And how does the root look? Nice and white and healthy or dull and brown and sickly?
I'll try to get a ph reading in the coming days. The roots look fine mate. I mean, they look like normal roots do. White and healthy. I use this nute for all of my soil based plants and they all look awesome. But as this is my first plant in a dwc system, I have no idea of what I am doing so I appreciate all the help I can get! :party:

So, yeah. I eventually got a PH reading and it was a bit high. I'm trying to keep it between 5.7-6.2 right now. I also try to keep the ec around 0.7, but the plant is still looking very sad. The roots however are still looking healthy. They are probably stretching about 25-30cm right now.

I'll give you guys another photo.

a1n5mr.jpg

looks droopy, looks like its drowning. an ec of 0.7 is probably ok...I know there are several people that like it that low but maybe it wants some more?

I agree, it does look like it's drowning, but I can't figure out why. I mean, it is a dwc, the roots are supposed to be soaked. I can't find any algae. The water looks very clear. I will try to amp up the ec a bit. I'm thinking about just cutting the curled leaves off the plant to give it a fresh start. I think the roots look fine though. Maybe this is caused by some sort of virus?

I agree, it does look like it's drowning, but I can't figure out why. I mean, it is a dwc, the roots are supposed to be soaked. I can't find any algae. The water looks very clear. I will try to amp up the ec a bit. I'm thinking about just cutting the curled leaves off the plant to give it a fresh start. I think the roots look fine though. Maybe this is caused by some sort of virus?
How much air do you have pumping through that water? The more air the better, I think its pretty hard to have too much going through.

Back