• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Leaves getting dark spots.

Leaves getting dark spots - with pics

This is my first time growing pepper plants. I have a False Alarm Hybrid a friend gave me as a seedling.

Is this some kinda of fungus or could it be caused by too much artificial light, I have it under CFL Daylight spectrum 14 hours a day. I also notice the stem is alot darker and solid then the stem of an identical plant my friend has. He keeps his under natural light in a South facing window. His stem is green and not as solid. Both plants were germinated at the same time.

This is a False Alarm Hybrid.

I have had this happen to me too with no long term affects to the plant. From my own experience it seems to be caused by overwatering and/or the artificial lights. Other people here have the "scientific" answers more so than I do so see what they have to say. You definately are looking for help in the right place.

By the way.....WELCOME to THP!!

Someplace I read that when the leaves turn like a purple tint to them its there way of say to much light its like their suntan But they look okay other than that right?

okie joe said:
Someplace I read that when the leaves turn like a purple tint to them its there way of say to much light its like their suntan But they look okay other than that right?

The plant seems healthy other than that. I may try to keep out of the artificial light and move it to a window and see how it does for a week or so.

telc said:
The plant seems healthy other than that. I may try to keep out of the artificial light and move it to a window and see how it does for a week or so.

What are you growing it in, and have you fertilized it yet? It doesn't look like a fungus, it looks like pigmentation from the light, but just to be sure...

And I wouldn't move it to a window, but can you move the light higher?

POTAWIE said:
It looks like its time for a bigger pot. I wouldn't worry about too much light.

Did you see the small papery brown place in the second picture? It looked a little like sunburn, and I thought maybe the lights were too hot. Are you thinking the plant has adapted by this point? I'm asking, because I considered that, it's just that I hate making suggestions when I don't really know anything about the set up.

Here are some more pictures.

I build the light for around $20. It is a $10 reflector from Lowes, single to dual socket adapter and two GE 6700K 26W (100W Eqiv) CFL's. I used a tripod I had laying around to support the light, it is nice because I can raise and lower it.

Back