• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leaves lighter green, stunted growth

I am posting a pic of two plants that I purchased from Bonnie. These are my two Chile de Arbol plants that were labelled as Dragon Cayennes.
v4fKlTS.jpg

Note the plant on the left has leaves that are an off color green and the growth is stunted. I have not done anything different with that specific plant. Any thoughts on what is happening here and how I can maybe fix it?

Thanks very much in advance!

Looks like nitrogen to me, but I am not one of the pros here.... I wonder if there is a water issue also. Always hard to tell if too much or too little. The ground is caved all around it which would accumulate more water. And the leaves are looking a bit rolled which I have seen when the rain get s out of hand. Stick your finger down into the dirt, as far as it will go. Is it wet or dry at the tip?

And what would one foliar feeding with Epsom salts hurt. Always greens things up nice and fast on my upper hillside garden that drains too well.

Your better plants look a tiny bit hungry also. I would give em something also.

Looks like nitrogen to me too, but I am also a novice.

One thing I have found which seemed rather bizarre is that even in the same area not all soil is equal. I had a raised bed that I tested the soil in, the bed had been thoroughly tilled and conditioned however a good chunk of the soil later that season tested with almost no nitrogen (made sense after that why the plants in that soil weren't growing at all). I still don't know how it happened, but after amending the problem the plants came back in good form!

As far as being a potential grub problem, you should be able to find some without removing the plant altogether if you do have them. Just use a small garden shovel to move some of the surrounding dirt and see if you can find any. Doesn't look like any adult beetles were munchin' on your peppers though.

bpiela said:
Is there any chance this is grub related?  Should I dig this up?
Dunno...  But I suspect that I am seeing signs of nitrogen deficiency even in your better plants.  I would give them all some before they all go down hill.

You could move it since it is sunk.  Or you could even just raise it a bit.  Up to you...    I imagine you could just lift it really deep with a shovel and add well draining soil underneath,  Yeah you may shock it a little, but it doesn't look to happy the way it is.

Back