• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leaves wilting

My plants have been transplanted for at least 10 days now (some three weeks) and the superhots seem to be wilting during the day. They are growing and one is blooming, plus of an evening they perk back up.

I've seen tobacco do this a tad but not as much as these plants. It has finally become warmer with more sun, but nothing extreme. Plus, the other chilies don't seem to do this.

Since there are only about seven pots, for the time being I'm going to move them to the shade of an afternoon then move them back out evenings and overnight.

Strangely, the leaves have not become scorched or similar, dut drooping real badly.

Mike

Not to be a doomsayer, but off hand I'd say that sounds like fusarium wilt.

If water is consistent, there is no way that it is too hot for them. If they are drying out everyday, get them in the ground!

Hopefully it isn't a wilt, but that sounds like the wilt I had last year.

It progresses by slowly killing off lower leaves and branches, but don't panic, lots of things cause that.

MYCOstop is a great product if it is a wilt.

If they perk back up then it is likely an environmental problem like wind or sun. Were they hardened off well. I think shade is probably a good idea.

Potawie,

Can't really say this one was hardened off "well," about the same as all the other plants. But it isn't showing signs of stress (except for the obvious leaf wilting!) - it is growing new sprouts.

I'm wondering if this is one of those micro-management things? You put plants in the ground (or in this case, a pot) and they live or die. I planted 60 tomato plants last year, about 55 of them survived, and they were all strong plants. I checked them maybe once a week. These things I'm checking 4-5 times a day.

Mike

I had one cayenne do that all last summer. It was in the ground and would only perk up after it rained, I watered it, or early mornings and late evenings. It drove me crazy.
Other than that, it grew normally & produced great. The pods off this one were hotter than the pods off it's "sister".

My Fatalli was wilty looking today so I gave it a nice drink
Poof popped right back up. Actually the containers and
soil mix and perlite I used my containers may actually
drain too quickly ugh :)

Poisonette said:
I had one cayenne do that all last summer. It was in the ground and would only perk up after it rained, I watered it, or early mornings and late evenings. It drove me crazy.
Other than that, it grew normally & produced great. The pods off this one were hotter than the pods off it's "sister".

Last year half of the time my Cayennes looked wilting and droopy and perked up with a spray of water and didn't like too much sun. I think Cayennes can generally be droopy looking anyway.

After a good night's rest and no sun, the plant that looked by far the worst looks like all the others now - standing straight up, leaves growing upward.

It's a Trinidad Large Yellow Congo pepper. Maybe this kind just likes to wilt?

Mike

I am just saying: your original comments seemed to say that this happened regardles of watering, that is what concerns me.

Where are you? (regionally)

Hopefully it is not anything to worry about.

cheezydemon said:
I am just saying: your original comments seemed to say that this happened regardles of watering, that is what concerns me.

Where are you? (regionally)

Hopefully it is not anything to worry about.

I'm in Cincinnati. Sunday and yesterday were the first really hot days this year. I gave it a shot of water with nitrate dissolved in it last night which might have helped also.

No doubt, the plants are getting pleny of water now - it is pouring down. I may have to bring my seedlings (tomatoes and eggplants) inside - they could drown in this rain.

Mike

We got that last night. Man It came down!

It isn't that hot there, I would definitely keep an eye if the wilting phenomenon continues.

I've found my plants wilting is cuased by either not hardened them off enough and they wilt up in the sun or they need a drink. I routinely starve my plants until they are wilting on the brink of death before I rehydrate them, and about 3 hours after watering they are back 100% like nothing ever happened.

Right now lots of my plants even after being in the garden for over a week now and having pure sunlight for about a month still wilt during the daytime, but once the sun starts setting they unfold and perk up.

Good luck and hopefully everything is alright!

My caribbean red plant was doing that when i was hardening it off....it would droop a bit during the day, then within 20-30 minutes of shade it would perk right back up. It hasn't done that in over a month now, however(she's getting pretty big and strong).

Back