• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

LED driver help

I have

10 red 1 watt leds that run on 1.8-2.4 volts at 300ma (want to do 2 strings 0f 5 LEDs)

10 blue 3 watt leds that run on 3.4-3.6volts at 700ma(strings of 3 and 4 LEDs)

5 blue 3 watt leds that run on 3.4-4.2 volts at 700ma(strings of 3 and 2 LEDs)

5 red 3watt leds that run on 1.9-2.3volts at 700ma(string of 5 or 3 and 2 LEDs)

I have
10 X lm317
10 X 103 M? capacitors
A handfull of 36ohm 1/2 or 1 watt resistors

My power supply is 13.6 volts 55amp output according to the label.Motorhome power supply...

these were what I was told to use.
My helper doesn't want to tell me what to do with the stuff-other than stick it up my A__I'd try but I don't think the LEDs will light up there either,no place to plug it in...

He got pissed off because what he was telling me about running LEDs went in one ear and out the other.
I don't speak geek....I have no clue,never will.

I found this and I think fig. #4 is what I need.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/AND8109-D.PDF

I don't know how to figure out what resistors I need.

I'd like to run them all (LEDs)if I could.

I've already made several small panels with 5mm LEDs using this

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

But I don't think it works for that driver I put the link to.

I know that with 12 volts I'm somewhat limiting my strings of LEDs.

I'll be mounting the Leds etc on a 1/8th inch thick aluminum sheet for a heat sink.
The closer each group of LEDs is to 12 volts the cooler they will run.

Anyone understand this stuff?

I'm not going nuts! It was like deja vu all over again, as I frequent the i-Village forum and the Growing Under Lights section!

I wish I could help but I don't have a clue. The most I can contribute is that I plan a grow test (using Celebrity and Better Boy toms in a DWC hydro setup in a week or two - once the plants get large enough!) 400 watts MH vs 125 watts LED.

Mike

Hola, amigo.

I could work all that stuff out for ya, but my end reaction would be KISS. Keep It Simple Sweetie.

It sounds like you are in past your comfort zone with all the resistors and capacitors. Depending on how much $ you have invested in the stuff you have, I'd suggest getting a couple fluorescent lights you can plug into a timer. Or some of the other light set ups you can see in people's grow logs. Even a couple table lamps will suffice for a small operation until you can either figure this stuff out or get a simpler system. Good Luck, and keep posting as you progress and with what you decide to use.

SL

I've already got a setup with fluoros.(started and grew over 400 varieties of peppers last season.Cutting down this season to about 250 or so.(YEA right. LOL)
I'm not starting out for the first time.

I have been playing with LEDs for a while but math type stuff goes in one ear and out the other...
I understand the basics of what I have to do to make Leds run but I never can understand the way to figure out what exactly I need or whatever.
Right now I want Fluoros up top with LEDs vertically on the sides.
I use about 9 different wavelengths of red and blue-Basicaly any wave length I can find in Blue from 430nm - 475nm and red from 420nm - 700nm.

Beta-carotene 450nm 480-485nm dual peak
chlorophyll a 430nm 662nm dual peak
chlorophyll b 453nm 642nm dual peak
phycoerythrin 590nm single peak
phycocyanin 625nm single peak

Seems to work pretty good so far with 10mm and 5mm LEDs.
I have 14 hrs a day work shifts that I can do anything I want to do during that time.Lately I soldered over 3000 5mm LEDs on several 3" x4" boards.

If they stop working on growing my plants I'll have the brightest boat on the water at night. LOL
Just new toys to play with.LEDS are cheep if you shop around.Depends what you want to buy and how much time you have to kill.

Any help would be great.

Back